New to Compacts. Also new to board

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #1  

Anonymous Poster

I bought my first Compact tractor last Friday (3/21/03). I farmed with my dad until I was 30 I am now 57. We had an Allis Chalmber WD 45, a Allis Chalmber CA, a John Deere A, and various Olivers and old Farmall's (F-20's and such) to run the belt. We had a dairy.

I presently have 5 acres in middle Tennessee. I love just playing on my land. I bought a Allis Chalmber WD 45 about 6 years ago. It finally died. In my search for a new tractor I lucked up on an Iseki TS 2205 2wd. I think I got a great bargin. Had no idea what I had bought. Never heard of an Iseki or a Grey Market Tractor. From what I have seen advertised on other sites I am more convinced I got a real bargin. It has 1049 hours on it, good tires, with good sheet metal and fairly good paint. It also came with a 12' dual axle trailer.

Now my problem is I have never never owned a diesel of any kind. My neighbor who used to work on diesels, (I can't even spell it), says it sound OK.

In my search I have found Rainbow Distribitors, Dave's Tractors, Sheaffer's Town and Country, Hoyte Tractor and I also found a dealer in Tullahoma Tennessee who says he can get me almost any part I need. (Tullahoma is about an hour and a half from me.) He told me the parts were high and I would have to wait up to 3 weeks for some parts but he normally could get them. So I think parts are going to be OK.

Here are my questions.

I don't know anything else about my tractor. I own a 5' bush hog (Agri-Cut a light weight model), a 1 bottom plow, a 6' disk harrow, and a boom pole. NOW MY QUESTION IS, Do I have enough tractor to use this equipment? I know I will probably need to buy front end weights.

I have order every manual i can find. One from Len at Sheaffer's Tractor and 1 from Hoyte Tractor. Have found that they are not many manuals available. I read an article which discussed Grades of Tractors i.e. Grade A, Grade B Grade C and so forth. What would my Iseki TS 2205 be grade? I consider it in good mechanical condition and looks good.

PLEASE any help or advise you could give a novice Iseki owner would be greatly appreicated.

My post are not normally this long. I just wanted to introduce myself.

Don Worrell
PV86@bellsouth.net

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #2  
You should be able to run a 5 ft bush hog on your tractor as long as you don't try to tackle anything to big or too thick. The PTO hp of your tractor is 22 hp. You may need some front weights to keep the front wheels on the ground when you have the bush hog raised. Pulling the plow will depend on the ground condition. As for the grade of your tractor, the exporters grade the tractors for the benefit of the importers bringing them in and the importers grade the tractors to benefit themselves. Grading depends on who the grader is. If you think you have a good tractor, that is all that is important. Good luck.

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #3  
Enjoy your tractor, that is a very solid model. If you need help feel free to call or email anytime. 509-374-3398

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #4  
Don,
I've got a TS2205 too. One of the first things you need to do is get some weight on the front end - with anything on the back, the front can get a little light. I don't know how tall you are, but one project that helped on my tractor was to move the fenders out 2 inches and back about an inch and a half. I had to make up spacers, use longer bolts, and drill new holes, but this helped getting on and off the tractor.

The only maintainance item I haven't been able to find (looked for a little while then gave up) was an air filter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I ended up converting to a K&N open element filter. If you find a replacement air filter, let me know.

Have fun with your new toy!
Jeff

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #5  
I have your filter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board
Jeff,

I also moved out my fenders. Didn't move them back but did put in 2" spacers. It makes getting on and off much eaiser.

Also I turned the bracket which holds the seat in place around. This moved the seat back by about 2". I am 6'2" and 275 pounds moving the fenders out and reversing the seat bracket sure made getting on and off eaiser.

THANK YOU FOR THE HINT ON THE FENDERS. It was while I was moving the fenders that I noticed the seat could be adjusted also.

Thanks again.

Don Worrell

By the way have you ever drained the oil from your Trans/rear? If so where is the drain plug? I found the check level plug and the fill hole. But haven't found drain plug.

Don

/ New to Compacts. Also new to board #7  
Don,
I haven't moved the seat back on mine - it may already be moved back. When the lift is all the way up, it will be up against the back of the seat. I understand the height & weight thing - I'm close in height and weight to you. It's still fun getting my heavy workboots positioned so I can get on and not break my ankle...

As far as draining the transmission, I glanced at mine and it looks like there are two plugs, one under the transmission and one under the axle. I haven't drained mine yet - the fluid in both the transmission and hydraulics looked good, and there have been too many other projects going on recently. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jeff