New stuff from Tazewell

/ New stuff from Tazewell #1  

Gravy

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT425
I made a trip to Tazewell today. I came back with one of the new 33 inch grapples and a trencher. There are plenty of reports about the trencher, so I'll stick with the grapple. Sorry, no pix yet.

I've only had a couple of hours to play with it, but I'm pretty pleased with the grapple so far. Looking at the photos on the website, I was kind of skeptical about the design. It looked a bit flimsy, and I was used to seeing grapples that look much more heavy-duty. I'm pleased to report that the grapple is NOT flimsy. I measured the thickness of the steel plate used throughout at 7/16". It IS somewhat flexible, but in a good way. The springiness seems to help it hold better and conform a bit to tapered shapes.

The largest test log at the play area in Tazewell was reportedly weighed at over 1600lbs. I was able to get it a bit off the ground with the demo 425 & grapple as long as I kept the steering absolutely straight. The next smaller one is a bit over 1200lbs. The 425 was able to carry it around, although pucker was a factor at times. I already knew from experience that the 425 can lift more than it's 800lb rating, but I didn't expect those numbers. I was impressed.

When I got my new goodies home, I spent a couple of hours moving brush, logs, and rocks. I was very pleased at the productivity. It's a huge improvement over the 4in1 bucket, forks, or mini-hoe&thumb for that kind of cleanup work.

At this point, the biggest negative is that I wish it closed down farther. Instead of overlapping, the teeth touch tip-to-tip. I'd like to be able to clamp down securely over smaller items. It's not a big deal - most smaller items can be pinched "between the fingertips" pretty easily. It would also be easy to make some sort of insert for carrying smaller items. It would also be easy to add some stiffeners if needed. So far, I don't think they will be needed.

I chose the 33inch over the 45inch for several reasons: It's $200 cheaper, it weighs less which leaves more usable lift capacity, and it fits into smaller spaces. I think the wider grapple might be a bit better if I were mostly moving lots of lightweight brush in wide-open spaces. For me small is beautiful.

In other news, both Chris and Terry have said that there's a new 4xx prototype in the works. It sounds like it will have a fuel-injected Kohler engine of around 30 or 31hp, and use the wheel motors from the 1430. I already want one. More Power!!! (Too bad the budget won't likely stand it).

That's all for now.

Gravy

/ New stuff from Tazewell #2  
Gravy said:
In other news, both Chris and Terry have said that there's a new 4xx prototype in the works. It sounds like it will have a fuel-injected Kohler engine of around 30 or 31hp, and use the wheel motors from the 1430. ...

Shame on you for mentioning this! :D

/ New stuff from Tazewell #3  
Gravy said:
I made a trip to Tazewell today. I came back with one of the new 33 inch grapples and a trencher. There are plenty of reports about the trencher, so I'll stick with the grapple. Sorry, no pix yet.

I've only had a couple of hours to play with it, but I'm pretty pleased with the grapple so far. Looking at the photos on the website, I was kind of skeptical about the design. It looked a bit flimsy, and I was used to seeing grapples that look much more heavy-duty. I'm pleased to report that the grapple is NOT flimsy. I measured the thickness of the steel plate used throughout at 7/16". It IS somewhat flexible, but in a good way. The springiness seems to help it hold better and conform a bit to tapered shapes.

The largest test log at the play area in Tazewell was reportedly weighed at over 1600lbs. I was able to get it a bit off the ground with the demo 425 & grapple as long as I kept the steering absolutely straight. The next smaller one is a bit over 1200lbs. The 425 was able to carry it around, although pucker was a factor at times. I already knew from experience that the 425 can lift more than it's 800lb rating, but I didn't expect those numbers. I was impressed.

When I got my new goodies home, I spent a couple of hours moving brush, logs, and rocks. I was very pleased at the productivity. It's a huge improvement over the 4in1 bucket, forks, or mini-hoe&thumb for that kind of cleanup work.

At this point, the biggest negative is that I wish it closed down farther. Instead of overlapping, the teeth touch tip-to-tip. I'd like to be able to clamp down securely over smaller items. It's not a big deal - most smaller items can be pinched "between the fingertips" pretty easily. It would also be easy to make some sort of insert for carrying smaller items. It would also be easy to add some stiffeners if needed. So far, I don't think they will be needed.

I chose the 33inch over the 45inch for several reasons: It's $200 cheaper, it weighs less which leaves more usable lift capacity, and it fits into smaller spaces. I think the wider grapple might be a bit better if I were mostly moving lots of lightweight brush in wide-open spaces. For me small is beautiful.

In other news, both Chris and Terry have said that there's a new 4xx prototype in the works. It sounds like it will have a fuel-injected Kohler engine of around 30 or 31hp, and use the wheel motors from the 1430. I already want one. More Power!!! (Too bad the budget won't likely stand it).

That's all for now.

Gravy

That is the machine that I want. It makes my decision very easy. I have heard really good things about the Kohler fuel injected engine. Longer life and more power. To heck with the budget. 2010 (planned purchase date) here I come.

/ New stuff from Tazewell #4  
Does the new machine use the same attachments as the present 422/425?

/ New stuff from Tazewell
Bob,

I would guess so. I brought up the subject by asking if there were any plans to build a more powerful version of the 425. (I hope I'm not getting anybody in trouble by telling. Nobody said it was a secret). As I understand it, the prototype isn't finished yet. The new engine requires some changes to the body. Once those changes are made there will be testing for a while. I don't have any other details.

Dave

/ New stuff from Tazewell #6  
Maybe someone with more energy than myself could collect a list of issues, complaints and suggestions regarding the 4xx series and email it to PT for their consideration in the new design. :D

/ New stuff from Tazewell #7  
KMA said:
Maybe someone with more energy than myself could collect a list of issues, complaints and suggestions regarding the 4xx series and email it to PT for their consideration in the new design. :D

Email them suggestions? Do they have or read email in Tazewell? ;) :p :D

/ New stuff from Tazewell #8  
KentT said:
Email them suggestions? Do they have or read email in Tazewell? ;) :p :D
You're right... what was I thinking? I guess we'll have to convince Dave (Gravy) to drive down there and present them in person. :)

/ New stuff from Tazewell
Hmmm,

You might have something there, Ken. Of course, having just spent all of my $$$ buying new toys, I could use some help covering costs to go back up there. I know! Let's take up a collection! Lessee...how much would it cost???...(how much is a new tiller???)... Oh yeah - $1150 (+tax) would probably cover my gas & time! (snicker).

OK, I guess that probably won't work, huh? Ummm, next idea...

Seriously, I don't know how much attention they pay to our input - might be a little, might be a lot. I think we might actually have a reasonable chance of influencing the design if we call, visit, snail-mail or e-mail our desires during the next week or so. I've talked to Chris & Terry several times about what I'd like most (more engine power, more power at the wheels, an additional hydraulic circuit, etc.). If they hear the same things from a number of customers, there may be a real effect.

There's no guarantee, but it might be worth a shot - Vote Early & Often!

Gravy

/ New stuff from Tazewell #10  
Gravy said:
I've talked to Chris & Terry several times about what I'd like most... an additional hydraulic circuit...
My #1 wish. Put in a dedicated circuit with a joystick on the left side of the steering wheel to use for 4n1 open/close and mini-hoe scoop.

It is a PIA to use the lttle QA lever for those purposes; I would rather the QA circuit stay a QA circuit all the time (they could eliminate the quick disconnect on those hoses).