New Ranger Owner

/ New Ranger Owner #1  

Tractors4u

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger
I have had a John Deere Gator 6X4 since since September 03. I decided last year that I wanted to upgrade to something with more power, bells, whistles, etc, etc. My Gator really did everything work related that I asked of it. The bed hauled more loads of dirt than I can count and it never struggled to dump it. That was work related. When it came time to play that is where it struggled. The low ground clearance hampered it on rough terrain and the exposed belt would get wet when I tried to cross our creek. Anything more than 6 to 8 inches would do it in. I really got the bug when I drove the Yamaha Rhino, but the bed was too small for any useful hauling. It did have the most comfortable seats of any of the UV's. I drove the new Gator HPX but it seemed to ride rough to me, plus its top speed was only 25. I drove the RTV twice. I looked at it again and again. The dealer said it would actually run close to 30 MPH and the power steering was sweet. I ended going with the Polaris. The Polaris is rated to tow more and weighs 600lbs less and will run 44mph. The weight was a concern to me for trail riding and getting stuck. The Ranger seems a little roomier and has seatbelts for three. The Ranger also has more storage area. There is a compartment under the hood and there is a large dry storage compartment on the side under the drivers seat. One thing about the Ranger and the RTV, neither have seats as comfortable as the Rhino. I ended up with the Ranger XP that has a 700cc twin fuel injected engine.

Attachments

• 801469-Polaris Ranger.jpg
    801469-Polaris Ranger.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 464
   / New Ranger Owner #2  
Are you sure the Ranger 's towing is rated more than the RTV? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ New Ranger Owner
The Ranger is rated to haul 1000lbs in the bed and tow 1750.

The RTV is rated to haul 1102 in the bed and tow 1300lbs.

/ New Ranger Owner #4  
Nice lookin ride there, Brent. I looked at one just like that here while back. I wanted to test drive it but it was in the showroom, so I didn't ask. Pretty cool deal with the two keys huh? If I may, what did you give for it. I think they were asking $10,400 for that one. The only option I noticed on it was a top.

One good thing about that Ranger that some may or may not know is, it's a true 4 wheel drive. I want one but can't justify it right now. Well, I can justify it but the other half won't /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ New Ranger Owner
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pretty cool deal with the two keys huh? )</font>

For those that don't know, Polaris has what they call the Speed Key option. One key allows the Ranger to go full speed and by using the yellow speed key in the ignition, it governs it down to a top speed of 25mph. However mine does not have the speed key option. The Speed Key is only available on the carbuerated engines. Mine is the fuel injected engine.

Mine costs me $10,645 and the only option I added was the power dump.

/ New Ranger Owner
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it's a true 4 wheel drive )</font>

I almost forgot about that. The transfer case has a 3 position switch. One position is limited slip 2 wheel drive, then locked differential 2 wheel drive and then 4 wheel drive.

When I was at the Polaris dealership they had a couple of 2 wheel drive Rangers and I wondered why anyone would even buy a 2WD. This thing is incredible in 2 wheel drive. The only thing it hasn't been able to do is backwards up our steepest hill. We went up it in 2 WD high range unlocked differential without any hesitation. We even stopped half way up and took off without any problems. Then we went down the hill and tried to back up. It just spun. We had to put it in 4WD to back up. So far it is amazing.

/ New Ranger Owner #7  
man you got me druellin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i wanna go get me one right now. i have a hpx but i just can'r part with it i wanna get my note down alittle bit one it too so maybe in about 6 months i'll have my polaris. to me they are the two top dogs on the block the gator for workin and the polaris for playin and huntin.soon i'll have both but if i had to i would part with my hpx /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ New Ranger Owner #8  
Now you need to put some 28" tires and you will be ready. We bought my boys a Ranger TM for X-mas 1 year ago. I wanted what you got. I thought it would be alot for the kids. I told my self I would get me one later. But like what was said the little 2 wheel will do the job. I does it too well so now I can't see me getting one. I used it to pull the RVT that my fater inlaws ahs 2 miles home from the woods. When he broke down with 70 hrs. I have put all of my welding tools + a 16hp welder in the Ranger it all works fine.
John /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I have been looking at the Big Bore 4 wheelers for dad. The boys have my Honda 300 in the woods whenever I need it. I did not think it was going to be this bad till they wanted the truck keys.
John

/ New Ranger Owner #9  
Are you a member of PRC? I have a 05 500 4x4 Ranger. I am amazed at where it will go. I siteprep sprayed 18 acres to plant pine trees with mine. The spray pattern is 10' wide. I had to go over the area every 10' no matter what the terrain with the spray tank in the be. Most of it was done in 2wd.

/ New Ranger Owner
Actually I joined PRC the day after I bought it. Good folks over there. I guess when everyone has the same brand of machine they seem to keep it very civil. It still amazes me where this thing will go. My wife took her first ride in it yesterday and I went across our creek and proceeded to climb the bank on the other side that was about 2 ft straight up and it never hesitated. I keep telling the guys at work that I bought it for her and so far she is pleased with it.