New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #11  
???? Really there are hundreds of implements made in that size. Other than a flail what implements are you looking for that cannot be found in a 6' width? Every implement I have is a 6' except for the box blade and rotary hoe which are 7'.
I think the point here (not sure) was that he wants 6' implements but the tractor HP is not quite up to the tasks he wants to complete.

My new flail is 175cm or about 5.7 feet...it also offsets about half of that.

As to hammers versus knives, hammers are made for hitting saplings and small brush. Knives are made for grass. Right tool, right job.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #12  
I think the point here (not sure) was that he wants 6' implements but the tractor HP is not quite up to the tasks he wants to complete.

As to hammers versus knives, hammers are made for hitting saplings and small brush. Knives are made for grass. Right tool, right job.
Torvy, let us know how it performs. I'm thinking about getting the Nova Tractor flail due to its sheer size of the hammers.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #13  
Torvy, let us know how it performs. I'm thinking about getting the Nova Tractor flail due to its sheer size of the hammers.
I hope I get a chance to use it soon. Probably be a week or two. Just got the OK to start moving into the house. Plus lots of rain the next couple of days. Now I need to make sure I have the right oils, greases (and more diesel). Need to check on hoses, too. I don't remember what was included.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers
???? Really there are hundreds of implements made in that size. Other than a flail what implements are you looking for that cannot be found in a 6' width? Every implement I have is a 6' except for the box blade and rotary hoe which are 7'.
It's not width alone that is the issue, it's the combination of width and horsepower, specifically in a brush mulcher. I am looking at the Baumalight MP360, but with a 30-35 HP PTO it's limited to 2 - 2.5 inches of capacity.

Befire you change the tractor why not get a 6' brush hog for this - you can find them used and your 35HP will run it fine. You wont have a lot of $ tied if you go used and if you need a different result then go flail
Carl, thank for the suggestion. However, I'm not too impressed with the finished product of the brush hog. I had a rotary cutter before, and it leaves a lot of stuff standing, and I am working forest trails, and it's adds 6 feet to the rear of the tractor, and that limits the ability to turn around.

That is the exact issue. I am cutting forestry trails with a lot of regenerative growth. I already had a forestry mulcher/track loader open the trail that I need to widen and maintain. However, at $4,000 a visit, I'd rather tackle the job and maintain the trails myself.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #17  
I have a Maschio Giraffina (60”) which is an offsetting and tilting flail with hammers. It needs 2 hydraulic aux circuits to offset and to tilt. 36 hp drives it just fine except in long grass ( 3 to 4 foot long). Then I just lift it 3 inches and slow down a little. This works for me. I can cut down along the pond or ditch as needed or flat. The offset means I cut off to the side and not flatten the grass before it is cut.

Again, thanks to all that responded. I looked over flails and they are not really designed for the type of work I need to do. I need something more aggressive so the plan is to obtain a Baumalight Brush Mulcher, and a higher horsepower (60hp) tractor. A dealer gave me a trade in quote for my 10 month old L3560 HSTC LE with 2.0 hours of time. The quote is not great, but not a deal breaker either.

/ New Purchase Flail mower with Hammers #19  

Just a note. I have hammers on my Maschio 10' flail and they cut grass better than the knives do.