New PT-422 initial observations

/ New PT-422 initial observations #1  

Scott_F

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I got home with my new PT-422 on Friday after two loooong days of driving. Had other commitments on Saturday so I didn't get to use it until yesterday. I was having too much fun using it to take any pictures, but I thought I'd post some initial observations - will try to get some pics soon if you're interested. I put a little over three hours on the machine yesterday./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sean Blackwell and all the folks at the PT factory were very nice and helpful. I got to try out the machine and any attachments I wanted in their test area. It's a very impressive operation and it appears to be growing quickly.

I finally settled on a PT-422 with ROPS and bar tires, 60" mower, small bucket with teeth, large bucket, blade and box scraper. I don't think the smaller engine will be an issue for me. My lot is fairly flat and my mowing will be primarily yard work, so I won't be cutting a lot of heavy grass. I mowed most of my lot yesterday - I think I'll be able to mow it in about 2/3 the time it took with my garden tractor with a 44" deck. That fraction will probably improve when I get the lot smoothed out or the grass is heavier.

I really had a tough time deciding whether or not to get the box scraper. I used it yesterday to smooth out and move around the gravel in my drive. It worked great for this task. You can easily control how much the box fills or empties by using the roll cylinder to control the tilt of the box. I didn't use the tines yet. They're definitely not as heavy as those you normally see on a box blade, but I'm sure they'll handle dirt ok - it remains to be seen if they will tear up the bank run gravel in the driveway. I'll probably wait until after another a good rain to try that.

I think the blade will be good for plowing snow, but I wasn't able to control it well enough to move gravel with it while going forward - it would either dig in too deeply or not dig at all - probably a matter of practice and getting the gauge wheels set right. I was able to drag it backwards and move grave from the center to the sides of the driveway without any problem.

I'm really glad I got the bar tires. The machine I tried at the factory had turf tires and I spent a lot of time spinning them when I was trying out the bucket and blade. The bar tires worked great in my driveway with very little spin. I also quickly confirmed what everyone's been saying about backing off the pedal to get more torque. Also, the bar tires didn't hurt the lawn at all. They're very flat across the tread from side to side so the don't seem to make a very deep impression. The rear gauge wheels on the mower do a lot more damage to the turf than the bar tires. When I get my lawn looking like MossRoad's I'll probably try to find some of the rounded wheels that you see on other mowing decks.

It is loud. I especially noted a lot of lower frequency noise, even with foam earplugs and muffs on. I don't want to restart the active noise reduction versus noise compression debate from the Pro-Ears thread, but I think for my use (and to save what little hearing I have left) I'll be looking into some ANR protection when the budget allows.

As others have said, the seat belt is way too long.

Not that anyone really cares, but if you'll look at my TBN profile, you'll see that I'm a human factors engineer. What this means is that I spend my time developing and/or analyzing operator stations and human-machine interfaces (in my case, those on navy aircraft). Naturally, I have a couple observations on the PT operator interface.

The throttle is upside down./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif It should move forward/up to increase power. To quote the military standard for Human Engineering Design Criteria - "Direction of control movement shall be consistent with the related movement of an associated display, equipment component, or vehicle. In general, movement of a control forward, clockwise to the right, or up, or pressing a control, shall turn the equipment or component on, cause the quantity to increase..." yada yada yada. In other words, "the throttle is upside down." Probably not a big deal on a PT-422, but imagine a fighter aircraft in which the pilot pulled the throttle lever backwards to increase power. Yikes!

I also noticed that when I pushed the treadle pedal for reverse I would often really take off. I think this is due to the fact that the pedal is shorter on the reverse side that it is on the forward side. This means that, for a given amount of pedal displacement, you get more movement of the pump valve, and consequently, more acceleration in reverse than you do in the forward direction. Will probably take some getting used to.

So there you have it, my observations after a few hours of use. Most have been stated before, plus a couple new ones to chew on (I expect I'll catch some guff for the throttle comments). Happy tractoring.

Scott

/ New PT-422 initial observations #2  
Scott:
Great to hear that the trip and purchase went well. And, you couldn't ask for a better day than yesterday to play outside.
Re; your observations
<font color=red>It is loud</font color=red> I'll bet mine's louder, but it's been a lot of years since I wanted to win that particular contest against anyone.
<font color=red>I'm really glad I got the bar tires.</font color=red> I didn't, but on occasion wish I had. There are a couple of poison-ivy and kudzu hills that I haven't been able to climb, that I suspect bar tires would handle. I may have to get a set some day.
<font color=red>I think the blade will be good for plowing snow, but I wasn't able to control it well enough to move gravel with it while going forward - it would either dig in too deeply or not dig at all </font color=red> The blade on mine was great in the blizzard of '02. It scraped up that 2" in short order. I have gotten better at using the gauge wheels, but not skillful yet. You'll probably use the box for everything, and have the snow blade in reserve.
<font color=red>The throttle is upside down</font color=red> It's the same on the 1845. Brings to mind the time I flew a Mooney to Western Maryland to do some testing of a power boat on Deep Creek Lake. My first approach to the dock was exciting. The throttle knob pulled out of the panel to increase throttle -- opposite the airplane's. Fortunately, there's little throttle adjustment on the PT, and a throttle change seldom if ever affects the maneuver being performed to the extent going the wrong way would make a difference.
<font color=red>I also noticed that when I pushed the treadle pedal for reverse I would often really take off.</font color=red> The 1845 is the same. After almost 50 hours, however, I don't notice it, even at full throttle. Same with the sensitive joystick. You'll get used to both pretty quickly. (Think how dull it'd be if there weren't new skills to learn?)
Keep us posted.

/ New PT-422 initial observations #3  
Scott I look forward to reading your storys and seeing your photos on your new PT, my wife and I are still in the looking stages but are are very interested and hope to take a trip down the PT this fall!

KCook

/ New PT-422 initial observations #4  
Scott I look forward to reading your storys and seeing your photos on your new PT, my wife and I are still in the looking stages but are are very interested and hope to take a trip down the PT this fall!

KCook

/ New PT-422 initial observations #5  
Scott, I'm with you on the throttle; it's definitely backwards. I can also identify with the unsettling nature of the quick acceleration in reverse; when I first got my 425, I was showing it off to a group of State Troopers. They were all standing around watching me demonstrate the "quick attach"; as I hooked up to the next attachment I backed up so quick that I almost mowed down a couple of them. One of them(my neighbor)suggested they haul me in for assualting a police officer. The embarrassment was punishment enough. I also found out that you can easily throw dirt in your own face with over enthusiastic joystick movements at high rpms!

Anyway, it doesn't take long to get used to the PT's quirks; they're few, and far overshadowed by it's overall performance. Have fun with your new Power Trac.

/ New PT-422 initial observations #6  
What a signature, I have to take the time to make one some day.
PTRich

/ New PT-422 initial observations #7  
congrats, many happy hours with your machine!

good luck

/ New PT-422 initial observations #8  
I've given myself a lap full of dirt twice /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ New PT-422 initial observations #9  
<font color=red>I've given myself a lap full of dirt twice </font color=red>

For me it was composted horse manure. Some incentive to learn fast.

/ New PT-422 initial observations #10  
Thanks, Rich. I usually spend at least a couple of hours a day in Coreldraw, designing signs and engraving; so I can pretend this is "work". /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif