Ballast New owner of a 1025R with a question

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #1  

ryugreen

Tractor
John Deer 1025r with Loader and 60D Mower
I just purchased a 2017 1025R with H120 loader and D60 mower. The dealer said that all loader packages now come with the ballast filling in the rear tires. My sales lady told me that a ballast box was not really necessary with that filling, but I am a bit dubious. Anybody have experience with the loader and the ballast oil in the rear tires? Am i definitely going to need that ballast box? Any other options I should look into before the ink on this deal drys?

Thanks guys!

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #2  
You will learn very soon if you need to add the ballast box.. as it all depends on how far you push your tractor and what it is asked to lift.

I have fluid in the rear tires, no wheel weights, but do have a ballast box. I can still overload (lift) the FEL and get the rear light.

If you are trying to squeeze the last nickel out of your purchase, then you are on your own to make that decision now. just sayin....

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question
Thanks beenthere. Apt user name! I think I am going to need that ballast. We are planning on working this guy pretty hard I think. Would it not work as much to have a box blade or something on the 3 pt hitch?

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #4  
Using a 3 point implement as ballast is fine as long as it doesn't get I the way of what you are trying to do. A ballast box will concentrate the most amount of weight close to the rear axle so you can get in tight spaces easier.

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #5  
Welcome to TBN and congrats on that tractor...

A nice and cheap ballast option is a dirt scoop which can be used to transport material or carry tools etc. They can be found on CL for less than a $150 usually. I have one and I put it on when doing a lot of loader work.

#1241 FORD 76 TRACTOR DIRT SCOOP

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #6  
I run with my Box blade on all the time for ballast unless I have the backhoe on. My rear tires are loaded as well. Besides keeping the rear end being light while lifting, it is important to take the load off the front axle by balancing the tractor.

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question

A nice and cheap ballast option is a dirt scoop which can be used to transport material or carry tools etc. They can be found on CL for less than a $150 usually. I have one and I put it on when doing a lot of loader work.

Awesome! I may go take a look at this! Thanks for the suggestion.

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #8  
If I were going to hold out for something very useful, it would be the iMatch for the 3 ph.. then get attachments that fit what you are dream up as you use your tractor.. for me, it is the most valuable and handiest purchase of anything hanging on the 3 ph.

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #9  

How do you get this combination to weight the 600+ lbs as per the ballast requirements in the H120 loader manual?

/ New owner of a 1025R with a question #10  
I just purchased a 2017 1025R with H120 loader and D60 mower. The dealer said that all loader packages now come with the ballast filling in the rear tires. My sales lady told me that a ballast box was not really necessary with that filling, but I am a bit dubious. Anybody have experience with the loader and the ballast oil in the rear tires? Am i definitely going to need that ballast box? Any other options I should look into before the ink on this deal drys?

Thanks guys!

Oh boy, here we go again. Another dealer who hasn't read the manual and is giving life threatening information to their customers. Loaded rear tires is not a substitute for a ballast box. Please, consult your H120 loader manual. It lists the MINIMUM ballast requirements when using the loader on your tractor to keep you from being seriously injured.