New (old) vice

/ New (old) vice #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Finally built a work bench in my pole barn and mounted an old vice on it. My dad had the vice but wasn't using it so he told me to take it. It was originally my grandfathers who passed away when my dad was a young child so it has a little sentimental value also. Anyway I cleaned it up a little and threw some paint on it. Anybody know anything about Yost vices? I'm familiar with Wilton but not Yost, it is made in the USA though!

Attachments

• image-3339670975.jpg
    image-3339670975.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 153
  • image-203825074.jpg
    image-203825074.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2171719319.jpg
    image-2171719319.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-2082719889.jpg
    image-2082719889.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image-2276215933.jpg
    image-2276215933.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 156
   / New (old) vice #3  
Nice old vise.

I use my vise all the time, can't imagine not having one. I think mine has 6" jaws plus about a 5" x 6" flat section behind the jaws that I use for light anvil-type work.

/ New (old) vice #4  
I have 3 vise's and I also have a couple of vice's. :D I am working on getting rid of the vice's but I fully intend to keep the vise's and maybe get some more.:)

/ New (old) vice #5  
I have two. One has wood faced jaws for my wood working and the other is metal faced. That's a good looking work bench, what I can see of it. The original homesteader had a vice but its outer shell was cracked - probably in a fire. I never thought of seeing if it could be welded - that was so long ago.

/ New (old) vice #6  
Boy, does that bring back some memories. My Granddad had one similar to that, and it was huge! I used to play with it when I was little; particularly the handle. I would spin it around, one way and then the other, and let the handle slip straight down with a loud "clank" when it hit bottom. One day I got a little careless and let the handle slip down while I still held it between my thumb and finger. The knob on the end of the handle mashed both my thumb and finger when it hit bottom resulting in two of the biggest blood blisters I have ever seen...either before or since. He passed in 1959; I don't know what happened to his vice, it's probably been melted down and exists currently as a Bradley Tank.

/ New (old) vice #7  
Yost is one of the better quality vises comparable with the Wilton. You have a very good USA made vise there.

/ New (old) vice
Every shop should have a vice or two, looks like it will serve for years to come. And enjoy the history.

Thanks, it is nice to know I'm using a tool my grandpa used.

Nice old vise. I use my vise all the time, can't imagine not having one. I think mine has 6" jaws plus about a 5" x 6" flat section behind the jaws that I use for light anvil-type work.

I have definitely been missing having the vise. The only downside that I cane see of this one is the jaws are more narrow than I expected or am familiar with.

/ New (old) vice
I have 3 vise's and I also have a couple of vice's. :D I am working on getting rid of the vice's but I fully intend to keep the vise's and maybe get some more.:)
You got me on the spelling, could blame it on auto correct but I just messed it up. If only I had just one vice, however the VISE I just installed.....

I have two. One has wood faced jaws for my wood working and the other is metal faced. That's a good looking work bench, what I can see of it. The original homesteader had a vice but its outer shell was cracked - probably in a fire. I never thought of seeing if it could be welded - that was so long ago.
Thanks, I just finished the bench. I'll get a couple pictures of it tomorrow.

/ New (old) vice
Boy, does that bring back some memories. My Granddad had one similar to that, and it was huge! I used to play with it when I was little; particularly the handle. I would spin it around, one way and then the other, and let the handle slip straight down with a loud "clank" when it hit bottom. One day I got a little careless and let the handle slip down while I still held it between my thumb and finger. The knob on the end of the handle mashed both my thumb and finger when it hit bottom resulting in two of the biggest blood blisters I have ever seen...either before or since. He passed in 1959; I don't know what happened to his vice, it's probably been melted down and exists currently as a Bradley Tank.
I'm glad that the vise could help bring back some memories. I don't have to worry about the handle sliding through that freely as someone in the past has torqued this one down and bent the handle. It still slides fully to both sides but not super smooth.

Yost is one of the better quality vises comparable with the Wilton. You have a very good USA made vise there.
That's good to hear. I figured it was a quality vice since it is at least 57 years old, my grandfather passed away 57 years ago when my dad was four years old.