New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #11  
I applaud the move. Is it a good move? Who knows. Is it something, yes! To me, that's a step in the right direction.
Ignoring her oath of office to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of New Mexico to protect and defend the rights of the people of NM is the right direction? Stating that criminals will just ignore the new rule is a good move?
I’d also like to hear the basis for declaring murder to be a public health emergency.

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #12  
   / New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #13  
Ignoring her oath of office to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of New Mexico to protect and defend the rights of the people of NM is the right direction? Stating that criminals will just ignore the new rule is a good move?
I’d also like to hear the basis for declaring murder to be a public health emergency.
There are undoubtedly serious concerns with the order. I acknowledge that, which is why I said I don't know that it's a good move. However, at least it's something, and starts the conversation. That is a welcome change from so many approaches that equate to either (1) pretending it's not a problem, or (2) feigning a lack of authority/responsibility for tackling the problem.

It's a difficult, complex problem, that will undoubtedly take a multi-pronged approach, with buy-in from a vast array of policy makers and stakeholders. But again, I get frustrated when lawmakers and politicians use that as an excuse to avoid addressing the problem.

That's why, as misguided as this approach may potentially be, I view it as someone using the little bit of authority they have to try to solve a major problem. I applaud that.

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #14  
Post shut down in 3 ... 2 ... 1

I'll kick it off.

I applaud the move. Is it a good move? Who knows. Is it something, yes! To me, that's a step in the right direction.

I don't know what the answer is to gun violence in the US, but I fully acknowledge we have a problem and need to do something about it.

I get tired of politicians who use every excuse to kick the can down the road and not act. At least this is something. At this point, I applaud anything that at least tries to change the status quo, which in my mind, is unacceptable.

As a University professor, this is an issue that is always at the forefront of my mind with the rise in campus shootings. The Professor that was just shot at UNC was a colleague of mine prior to moving to UNC about 4 years ago...
They would also like to take the freedom of speech away too. They will start those mandates as soon as the guns are gone, don't you think so?

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #15  
Personal attacks ... Hmm, I think that says more about you than me.
I won’t personally attack you, but let me ask you this: What good does it do to disarm legal gun owners so they have NO protection from gun wielding lawless criminals who will kill you for your shoes?
Do you understand that criminals don’t care about some idiot declaring guns to be illegal and only law abiding people will comply?

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #17  
There was a time when there were mandatory minimum jail time add-on's to crimes that involved firearms; maybe if we still enforced that it would provide a better deterrent. Of course a civically educated population would help as well, but if we had that, tin pot Governor's wouldn't be able to issue authoritarian mandates.

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #18  
I wonder how many criminals and those forbidden to have a firearm just said ''o well, I guess I'll just have to leave my gun at home today :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #19  
That's why, as misguided as this approach may potentially be, I view it as someone using the little bit of authority they have to try to solve a major problem. I applaud that.
This is contrary our entire form of government.

/ New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque #20  
There are undoubtedly serious concerns with the order. I acknowledge that, which is why I said I don't know that it's a good move. However, at least it's something, and starts the conversation. That is a welcome change from so many approaches that equate to either (1) pretending it's not a problem, or (2) feigning a lack of authority/responsibility for tackling the problem.

It's a difficult, complex problem, that will undoubtedly take a multi-pronged approach, with buy-in from a vast array of policy makers and stakeholders. But again, I get frustrated when lawmakers and politicians use that as an excuse to avoid addressing the problem.

Let’s wrap it up for ease of understanding shall we? Illegal gun owners commit crimes, prosecutors and judges do little to deter their behavior. Law abiding people obey laws, they don’t need admonishments for behavior correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.