New member with BX HST strainer warning

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #1  

G31

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT347HC
Hello, everyone. I stumbled upon this site a while back, while researching whether a BX2360 was a good machine. Now that I have 150 hours on mine, I can say it certainly is a fine piece of equipment.

Though it is definitely a durable, reliable, and strong machine, I did have one small issue that I would like to share. When I started to clean the strainer at 50 hrs, I had a hard time removing the bolt that holds the strainer on the machine. I swear a gorilla tightened it on there at the factory (or during dealer assembly). Once I got it off, I finished the work with ease. Fast forward a few weeks, and I notice a film all over the rear case, as if there was a slight leak. The leak must have been from fluid seeping around the O-ring, and out between the strainer and housing. I replaced the o-ring with no luck. Dealer's mechanic had no ideas, but said it wouldn't cause any trouble (fluid level in trans. not dropping, and no drips around strainer). I dealt with it for a while, until it just got to me. The bolt felt loose, so I tightened it up a bit. Checked it again, and fluid still visible...so I tightened it again. Well, the head snapped off! Luckily, it was loose in there, and came out with a drill. (I had the screw extractors and taps ready to work.)

The screw was obviously damaged, and a new one fixed the issue. No more leak! If you ever have this issue, check the screw.

Attached photos of broken screw, and SUDT film on case (for an example; this was caused by spilling some when topping it off).

By the way, the dealer says he never recommends the 50-hr strainer cleaning, as he has had people damage the strainer, and has never seen one with metal shavings in it.

Last edited:
   / New member with BX HST strainer warning
I had to save them to photobucket:
imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

Thanks! I suppose I should have posted pics of my machine, and listed the extras:
  • Kubota BX2360...new in 2013
  • 60" mid mower
  • Land Pride SGC048 grapple w/ 3rd function
  • Kubota quick attach loader adapter
  • 60" rear blade
  • carry-all
  • Northern Tool ATV sprayer
  • Superwinch Terra 45 UTV winch
image-1.jpg

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #5  
Wow nice grapple. How do you like it and what have you used it for?

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #6  
Nice Grapple, I dropped my strainer and all the oil at 50 hrs on my BX1860. I had some shavings in mine, I refilled with Mystic 134 oil, all my HST wine went away! I have been pleased with the operation of my BX, even the Concrete Truck operator was surprised how it ferried concrete to my walkway in the drizzle rain on Tuesday. He was really surprised when it started to slip on the hill, then I engaged 4WD and it walked right where I needed it to!

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #7  
By the way, the dealer says he never recommends the 50-hr strainer cleaning, as he has had people damage the strainer, and has never seen one with metal shavings in it.
I've done a few and never any to much metal in strainer but others have reported more. I wouldn't be to concerned if it wasn't cleaned at 50 hours but the dealers logic for not doing it because people damage it, well that's just :confused: If someone would damage it at 50, what number of hours would it take for them to NOT damage it? Would it be better to damage it at 100 hours?
This is the first report of this that I've read about which doesn't say it doesn't happen often but usually a bunch of problem reporters here. Yes, there is a Gorilla at the assembly plant for these sub and compact Kubotas, his family also installs the oil and trans filters.
Took a lot of pull power to get my strainers off, before I had an air wrench.

I use the grapple for brush and vine clearing, mostly. Occasional use to move big rocks, rip roots, and even drag it like a rake. It has also doubled as a very crude disk to break up my soil for planting. It really came in handy for demolishing an old 6x8 greenhouse...took all of 15 minutes, instead of all day. I've also found it handy to remove trash. If I had to choose between the bucket and grapple, I'd probably take the grapple. It would be a rough decision, though, as I use the bucket enough too.

John, I agree. You're either mechanically inclined or not, and it won't change with experience. I do all the maintenance on our house and cars with no trouble, generally, but some stuff I don't mess with (HVAC).

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #9  
Those lightweight Land Pride grapples, look like a great addition to those machines. I think they have found a niche market that others have missed.

/ New member with BX HST strainer warning #10  
Nice machine, I like the grapple. When I cleaned my strainer, I would say I had quite a bit of metal on it, some long thin curly shavings.