New L5740 arrived today

/ New L5740 arrived today #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
after patiently waiting for JR Long to build a grapple bucket for it, my new Kubota cab tractor was delivered today,
and naturally I had to get the bucket dirty... My first FEL and I have a long learning curve ahead of me.
The grapple is seriously heavy and without anything in the ballast box, now full of rocks, the tractor was scary light in the rear.
I had to shift into 4wd just to get up a hill with some damp grass on it.
Even with the ballast box mostly full, picking up a full bucket of dirt was pretty bouncy, so it's clear I need more weight back there, likely starting with
wheel weights first, then filling the tires if need be. I'm trying to balance my reality of not making the tractor too heavy to tow with my Suburban, vs. the safety factor, and
it didn't take long with that light rear end to make me focus on getting that handled promptly.

It was a sunny day, the cab got warm, the a/c worked nicely, though the radio was tinny, no surprise for tiny speakers. So I turned that off and just listened to the machinery.
I've waited a long time to get this tractor and I didn't want to rush the experience.
I picked up a few large tree rounds, and practiced picking them up and putting them down. Sight lines on the bucket with those thick top plates isn't great, but with time this should be more
natural for me. Hydraulic top link on order, and that's about it although I think those quick hitch adapters are on my xmas list.
Tomorrow my wife sees the tractor and my little personalization in her honor. Her brother is an excavator so I bet she wants to climb in and try it out; she's no stranger to dirt work.

So until I get my skills improved, the bucket will stay low and I will stay off hills for sure. The grapple is mostly for firewood work and clearing brush in the woods; I'll find a flat spot to practice in.
My landlord, who owns the farm I act as caretaker for, was thoroughly impressed, and was delighted that he no longer had to use a shovel on the dirt pile.
Dirt? how much and where?...:)

Most importantly I have to think before the foot goes down on the treadle. My first ten feet of operation included dragging the ballast box along the ground, which was embarrassing.

I asked the dealer to weld on some lift hooks, which seemed small to me, but were sized for 3/8 chain. He did it for "free", which was sure nice of him.
The dealer, Histands in Doylestown PA (north of Philadelphia) provides excellent service and that was my primary consideration, not lowest price, though what I paid was about 15% off list, which satisfied me.
Whenever I go into the dealership to get equipment worked on, I take them donuts or bagels. And my stuff gets fixed really quickly and I know the price will be fair. My grandfather dealt with this
dealer more than 50 years ago, and it's nice, and getting rarer, to have a friendly "local people" relationship. I'm retired and I use this equipment for fun, and keeping busy, so a dealer with the right
attitude is a blessing. Even if the Kubota filters are absurdly expensive...

I'd better get a case of grease cartridges, man there are a lot of zerks on this thing. No problem, I like to do maintenance.

Attachments

• P1010723.jpg
    P1010723.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 237
  • P1010724.jpg
    P1010724.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 203
  • P1010725.jpg
    P1010725.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010726.jpg
    P1010726.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 191
  • P1010727.jpg
    P1010727.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 181
  • P1010728.jpg
    P1010728.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 157
  • P1010731 (2).jpg
    P1010731 (2).jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010732 (2).jpg
    P1010732 (2).jpg
    331 KB · Views: 194
  • P1010733 (2).jpg
    P1010733 (2).jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 216
   / New L5740 arrived today #2  
Very nice set up.:thumbsup: The cab will be nice this winter. What all do you plan to do with it?

I hope to have the samething someday

/ New L5740 arrived today
[ What all do you plan to do with it?

mowing 18 acres of fields, planting lots of trees, general hobby farm maintenance, clearing woods, and lots of firewood work.
Where I am now is only temporary, likely headed to NC also to buy my own land.

/ New L5740 arrived today #4  
Congratulations, that is one very nice tractor; love the grapple even though like a back hoe, I don't "need" one when I see one I "want" it at least for a while.

The L5740 is light, but I like them that way as it is easier to add weight than take it away. I have filled tires and need about 1000 pounds on the 3PH to balance it out for safe efficient operation in our hills.

Even though I've operated tractors since dinosaurs roamed the earth, it still took me a while to fully appreciate the Grand L40; more you use it the more you will like it.:thumbsup::)

/ New L5740 arrived today #5  
Good luck with the new machine. If you need to buy grease, check this stuff out. A local farmer put me on to it. It's ruby red.

Attachments

• Texas RC Red Grease.jpg
    Texas RC Red Grease.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
   / New L5740 arrived today #6  
Nice tractor. Awesome grapple. You'll love it..

/ New L5740 arrived today #7  
Congratulations on your new toy. I mean tool. You will find more and more uses as time goes on for her. Looking sharp. I am hoping my next one will have a cab. Enjoy!

/ New L5740 arrived today #9  
North Carolina is a beautiful state, we spent a few days in Asheville way back in the hills; had to park on one side of a river and walk over a suspension bridge to our friends house. They had somehow managed to get a pickup and tractor in, but never left. We had relatives who lived in Greensboro/Jamestown.

/ New L5740 arrived today #10  
Daugen: I also have a L5740 HSTC-3, You said you had a hyd. top link on order, have you considered a hyd. side link. I have both, they call
them a top n tilt kit. They are really handy if you do any box blading . You were talking about weight on rear of tractor, I have my
rear tires filled and I keep my box blade on when doing heavy front end work, never had any trouble this way. I have a BRADCO
4n1 bucket on front which i use as grapple also. I noticed you have 3 sets of remotes on rear, so you could handle a heavy 6 foot
box blade with hyd. scarifiers, I have a Land Pride which is a heavy blade. You will also need a heavier bracket to hold those 3
remotes on the back, I think. Over time as heavy as they are they will vibrate the screws out of that little bracket. Take a look at
the one I built for mine, I posted some pictures on this forum a few days back. Just my two cents worth. Thanks