New JD GX345

/ New JD GX345 #1  

tilemanct

I'm looking to get my dad a new garden tractor. I looked at the SubCUT's but they are too complicated for him to use. The Deere GX 345 looked like a good machine, very solid, and simple to use. Any feed back on this unit would be apreciated. What would a good price be for the tractor and a 54" mmm. The dealer quoted $7500 plus tax. Seems high to me. We paid $1100 for our Cub 127 with mower and snowblower new. He got 35 years out of it. I just sold it for $850. Not bad.

/ New JD GX345 #2  
$1100 35 years ago is about equalivalent to $11,000 now. So I'd not fret with the $7500. Figuring the $850 for the used one, is equal to about $85 in money of 35 years ago.

Does the GX345 have dual hyd remotes? Getting two hyd cylinders in some attachments may make some of the work turn into play. Thinking about two-way on a front blade, and for me, the dump on a cart for dumping leaves. Also, snow blower takes two.

/ New JD GX345 #3  
List price on the GT345 is $8369, so you dealer is giving you a 10% discount. That's pretty good. You might be able to talk him into tossing in a free cart, but not much more than that. The GT345 is close to the top of the line in Deere tractors, and the price reflects that. If you want to save a little money, the Deere GX255 lists for $6599 with the 54" mower and offers almost exactly the same capabilities with an air cooled engine. The Cub Cadet 3235 with a 25 HP air cooled Kohler is available for $5899 plus the cost of the 54" mower deck, and it is a very capable tractor as well. The Simplicity Legacy (also available as AGCO or a Massey Ferguson clone with different paint) is their top of the line tractor and actually costs more than the Deere GT345, but offers 27 HP and optional 4 wheel drive. Can you take your dad to different dealers to see what he is comfortable on? Especially for leg room, belly room (if needed), ease of getting on and off, ease of using the controls, ease of removing the mower deck for cleaning and maintenance (some of those 54" decks are a bear to get off), ease of hooking up attachments, access to engine maintenance like checking or changing oil, or filters. What is a great machine for a tall left hander won't "feel" right to a shorter right handed person. And in this range of machine, he will be operating it for many years, so "fit is important. Have fun shopping!

/ New JD GX345 #4  
I really dont want to confuse the multitude of options being offered here but since the Cub 3000 series was mentioned.
I think its important to know whats down the line; On the 3235 series I was told the quick hitch setup will now be included with it. It will also include the hydrolic quick connects (for Blower lift and blade angling). This will be offered for the 2005 model....If anybody has seen the quick hitch setup on a Deere X or larger series, its basically the same thing but on a Garden tractor. Its a solid heavy duty unit with a hydrolic cylinder, but enables you to connect or disconnect implements in seconds. Bontai Joe quoted a price that most likely would include a deck (or be close to it). The Gx345 has one advantage over the 3000 series, and thats a water cooled engine. However the size, drivetrain, chassis strength and hydrolics are clearly in Cubs 3000 favor, and it costs less !

Ducati

/ New JD GX345 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm looking to get my dad a new garden tractor. I looked at the SubCUT's but they are too complicated for him to use. )</font>

Not really, within 15 minutes of demonstration from the dealer you will be a pro. That goes for all the major named brands!

/ New JD GX345 #6  
I was comparing the GX to the GT earlier this summer. I got a 2003 16 HP Kohler GT 225 for $4000. It came with the 42" deck.

The reason I got the GT over the GX was the fact that I really did not need power steering or hydraulic lift. The spring-assist works very well and you can adjust the tension for the weight of the implement you attach. I have a 42" snowthrower which, while a little heavy, is still manageable.

Another reason was the fact that the powerflow bagger was considerably more pricey than the regular bagger (something like $800 vs. $350 or so). I prefer a deck about the same width as the tractor for maneuverability purposes so the 42" was no sacrifice.

Just something to think about.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New JD GX345
I do have a friend who works at a Cub Cadet Dealer. I did consider them in my search. He pulled me a side and told me to forget the Cub line. Not a long term tractor. In fact he does not own one! He has a Deere. I went back to my JD dealer and talked. Tractor delers are hurting. They need business! I told him $6800 cash out the door for the GX345. They played the game. I told them I'm ready to buy, laid the cash out on the desk and said the balls in your court. My dad will be getting a new JD for Christmas!!!!!! Oh, on the better lines of JD the mark up is 30%. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New JD GX345 #8  
If you got that machine for $6800, you got one sweet deal on a very good tractor! I've owned nothing but Deeres since 1979, (well there is that Bolens that followed me home recently), but the Cub 3000 series machines are quite substantial and capable of matching up against anything in their class. The Cub 5000 and 7000 series are also excellent machines that seem to get over looked, so I don't really understand your Cub dealer's comment, unless he is talking about the 1000 series lawn tractors, which are designed to be sold in the box stores and are priced accordingly. I'm not currently in the market, but if I were, the Cub 5000 series would get a long hard look from me. Anyway I digress, Congratulations on your Dad's new tractor!

/ New JD GX345
I wanted a simple machine for my dad. The 5000 series Cub is in a whole nother league. The Cubs in the Garden Tractor series were the ones he said to avoid. Believe it or not, the Yellow and Green tractors as seen in the big box stores is actually hurting the dealers. One Deere dealer I went to has seen his business decline 10% over the last 3 years. The only Deere dealer who will survive are the ones who have the compact utility lines in 30hp and up. Every Deere dealer I went to who just did lawn and garden were hurting. The one that had the bigger machines were doing fine. That is why I got such a great deal. In fact I was his only sale this month in that class of machine.

/ New JD GX345 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do have a friend who works at a Cub Cadet Dealer. I did consider them in my search. He pulled me a side and told me to forget the Cub line. Not a long term tractor. In fact he does not own one! He has a Deere. I went back to my JD dealer and talked. Tractor delers are hurting. They need business! I told him $6800 cash out the door for the GX345. They played the game. I told them I'm ready to buy, laid the cash out on the desk and said the balls in your court. My dad will be getting a new JD for Christmas!!!!!! Oh, on the better lines of JD the mark up is 30%. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

LOL this has entertainment value only, zero facts....enjoy your machine...was that large bills or singles ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ducati