New inexpensive trimode welder

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #51  
Yeah, I spent many hours with that stupid thing [HF 'MIG-100' flux welder] and all I knew is what it took to get it to weld, once I figured out it welded decent with .035" wire I just stayed there and realized what it took to get decent welds, then once I played with actual good welders I realized it was backwards... That thing is now at my brothers and he's managed to get it to work here and there and I use it to work on things when I'm there and am not thinking ahead enough to bring a better welder...
Yeah. I did some useful work with mine after much frustrating trial & error. Example: Bracket for a lifting mechanism, to convert a drag-only spike harrow. I used the stick welder for anything larger than this.

But what I have now is far better.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #52  
Were you welding with .023" wire? It's hard to do. The Hobart 140 is really only about a 90A welder. The 140 is more theoretical. Duty cycle is usually around 20% @ 90A. With .023" wire, you are hard pressed to reach 90A.

IF that comment is pointed at me.... Well....
I use .030 wire exclusively and had to put in 30Amp circuit to keep amperage draw of welder from popping 20Amp breaker.... According to HOBART spec sheet it can draw up to 24.5 amp on AC input side, and that sort of makes me believe its capable of more than you 90Amp statement.... And yes, as state above .030 wire (ER70-S6 and C 25 shield gas) and have been successfully gotten good penetration on up to 1/4inch material.... And as with ALL MIG WELDING proper preparation of surfaces to weld is paramount....

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #53  
No, that's about right for a transformer for 90A rating. And that is an "average" rating they give, not a max breaker rating for inrush. A transfomer capable of welding 140A at max output will trip a 30A breaker. Hobart's own data shows it's only a 9% duty cycle at 140A. That's less than 1 minute out of 10 of operation.

Attachments

• duty cycle hobart.png
    duty cycle hobart.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 90