Sickle Bar New Idea Sickle Mower

/ New Idea Sickle Mower #1  

JeffSWM

Tractor
John Deere 4720, 5200
A friend has 2 New Idea sickle mowers. One is a Model 251 and the other is a Model 30B. Both seem to be identical. Both of them have a cast iron wheel that is driven from the gearbox. This wheel has a pin mounted to it that drives the wooden arm that moves the sickle cutter back and forth. The wheel on the Model 251 fell off. The shaft it was mounted on seems to be in good shape and has a Woodruff key in it. The wheel is bored to match the diameter of the shaft and has a square keyway in it to match the Woodruff key in the shaft. The wheel is a slip fit on the shaft. I can't see anything that holds the wheel on the shaft. It slides on easily, and just as easily, slides off. We can't find a parts list for this machine. Looking at the Model 30B, I can't see anything that holds the wheel onto the shaft. However, the wheel on the 30B is tight on the shaft.

Does anybody know what is supposed to keep that wheel on the gearbox shaft?

/ New Idea Sickle Mower #2  
The wooden arm is called a pitman arm. I can't help you with your question, but I always liked the classic design of the New Idea mower.

I love Terry Redlin's "The Landmark" painting

The Landmark.jpg