New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first?

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #1  

EOD Retired

Tractor
Yanmar SA 425
Just received my previously ordered hydraulic top link and getting ready to install. Is it best to try to add fluid to the cylinder or will the system take care of itself and I'll add fluid as needed after the tractor has run for a short while? Any wisdom will be appreciated.

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #3  
You will really enjoy the use of the top link, I know I do mine. I just installed it, hooked up the hoses and used it. No need to fill the cylinder , that I am aware of, it will fill when you operate the valve lever.

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first?
Thanks so much for the quick replies. I will hook up and go. Can't wait to stop jumping off and on the tractor. Well, I have to wait until tomorrow when I get the right couplers for my Yanmar. Those that came with the cylinder don't fit my 425.

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #6  
Congrats on the top link. I put one on my Kubota 11 years ago and haven't removed it since. :)

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #7  
I'd connect the hoses, leave the rod disconnected then cycle it end to end a few times. Then check your hydraulic oil level. This will also let you know how fast it's going to operate. You may want to adjust that if it's too fast.

I sure like mine. I use it every time I change implements because they all "park" differently. It lets me move the top hook of the QH in or out for the next implement or adjust the flail cut height on the fly.

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #8  
I got mine eight years ago and its been a real joy. Save so much time and futzing. I just hooked mine up and used it. It allows for that finite adjustment that makes all implements perform to their best.

/ New hydraulic top link, fill cylinder first? #9  
love mine , just make sure whatever implement you are using can't put the cylinder in a bind at full travel in either direction ( both the top link travel and the up and down of the arms ,,I almost bent mine right off the bat with my ballast box