New house starting

/ New house starting
ARRRRRGH!!! yesterday they stained the cedar faux beams in the great room....I ok'd the color....too dark. Gonna need to tear out and replace and redo. Today the appliances came. After working most the day the fridge and vent hood are in. 36" cooktop ....they cut a 30" hole in countertop. Dishwasher doesn't fit far enough back in cabinet to allow corner cabinet drawers to open. Microwave wiring is for 110v on a 15 amp breaker. Microwave/convection is 220 and needs double 20 amp breakers. That's probably going to require a wall tear out behind cabinets to rewire.----unless they can fish it up from under floor....I knew there was a reason I built on crawl space rather than a slab. Oven has to wait for microwave. Floors are in but there's no way they're going to escape damage with all this redo happening......I need a vacation from my retirement.

/ New house starting #32  
WOW

Sometimes stains lighten on their own over time and sometimes you can lighten them with a stripper or laquor thinner scrub.

Is the faux beam three pieces of cedar that you can take a part and rebuild inside out?

Did the plan show a 36in cooktop? Why did they cut it 30 inches? Seems like one of those things that would have been checked before just cutting any old sized hole.

Was the dishwasher designed to be in a corner? I've seen this on plans and tell my clients about how difficut it is to get in and out of them when they are in a corner. Hope you figure this one out. How about some pics?

In every kitchen that I've been involved in, the microwave outlet is always a dedicated 20 amp line with 12 gauge wire. I've never heard of what you are doing, but since it's something special, I'm wondering if it was on the plan? Something like that would have been real easy to do during the rough in stage.

Sounds like more then just a small screw up. Is your GC still in charge and what's his solution? Are the guys who got it wrong, people that he brought in?

Good luck,
Eddie

/ New house starting #33  
Hey, Eddie & mikim-- that's too bad, a lot of extra work that could/should have been avoidable.

Eddie, you should see my kitchen- when the place was built, the electrician put in only two outlets... one countertop 4-banger, and one near it for the fridge. Guess where the microwave went? Yep, on the counter next to the fridge... Yep, same circuit. :confused: Gave my circuit breakers quite a workout for a while!:laughing:

I had to separate them, and put in a recessed outlet for the fridge (oh, yeah, they forgot that, too!) on a dedicated 20-A line, then added an outlet strip on the other side of the sink area, also on its own circuit.... Have to wonder what goes on in people's minds sometimes.

mikim, I hope it all works out for you (I'm sure it will!)-- you've got a real nice retirement home goin' on there!:thumbsup:

/ New house starting
WOW

Sometimes stains lighten on their own over time and sometimes you can lighten them with a stripper or laquor thinner scrub.

Is the faux beam three pieces of cedar that you can take a part and rebuild inside out?

Did the plan show a 36in cooktop? Why did they cut it 30 inches? Seems like one of those things that would have been checked before just cutting any old sized hole.

Was the dishwasher designed to be in a corner? I've seen this on plans and tell my clients about how difficut it is to get in and out of them when they are in a corner. Hope you figure this one out. How about some pics?

In every kitchen that I've been involved in, the microwave outlet is always a dedicated 20 amp line with 12 gauge wire. I've never heard of what you are doing, but since it's something special, I'm wondering if it was on the plan? Something like that would have been real easy to do during the rough in stage.

Sounds like more then just a small screw up. Is your GC still in charge and what's his solution? Are the guys who got it wrong, people that he brought in?

Good luck,
Eddie

cedar is way too dark. wife says it looks like 70s mediterrean(ms) mobile home.:ashamed: We want the rough cut look so it means new material. other side of boards are smooth.
When I called the builder he didn't seem surprised that the microwave/convection was 220. Seems a lot are like that. ....surprised me...don't know why it didn't get checked during rough in.
dishwasher just needs a better installer. The guy they sent doesn't even have it level. I'm going to redo it this a.m. I've done dw installs several times over the years and they're still the same. We have "corner drawers" that pull out at a 45 deg angle so the dw needs to be flush with the cabinet face for the drawers to clear. hopefully it will do that.
The hole for the cooktop....don't know why they cut it small. I was there and even missed that they did that. All they had to do was look up and see the 36" space for the vent hood. I should've caught them. Must have been busy with someone else at the time. We had a lot of subs in there that day.
The cedar redo is on me--that was my screwup--all else is on builder. All the subs are the builders. almost exclusively in some cases. They average 40 homes a year so they keep some of these individual subs in business.

/ New house starting #35  
Hang in there Mike, The final month when things come together always are rough. Our cabinets, for the vent hood, was cut 36" and we had a 30" stove top and vent hood. We just exchanged the 30' vent hood for a 36". Our microwave is not convection so no problems there. Wasn't yours the same as ours? You must have upgraded. A clear stain on cedar (like the cabin) will turn darker.

/ New house starting
Hang in there Mike, The final month when things come together always are rough. Our cabinets, for the vent hood, was cut 36" and we had a 30" stove top and vent hood. We just exchanged the 30' vent hood for a 36". Our microwave is not convection so no problems there. Wasn't yours the same as ours? You must have upgraded. A clear stain on cedar (like the cabin) will turn darker.
yeah - we got the same oven but we were considering a warming drawer....just made sense to get a micro/convection and use it as an either/or.
Got the dishwasher installed today. I think I might have a solution on the microwave too ....need to check with electrician --Monday. Still having a problem with that cedar though. Builder was out today and said it could cost near $2000 to replace.....still .. better now than later. Don - if you & Karen are available this weekend - I'd appreciate your opinions. We have to make a decision this weekend and let the builder know on Monday.

/ New house starting #38  
Wow! What a beautiful Texas ranch home. As usual, I'm late to the party just now finding this thread in "Today's Posts".

It always seems the last 10% of home building is the most frustrating. I love the colors inside and out. There is an old joke about being married long enough to garner "color authority". Usually for men color authority starts and ends in the garage...:laughing: There is a nice home down the road past me that is trimmed in Mary Kay pink. I don't care for it. Obviously, the man there must have lost all color authority....

Mike and Bernice, that fireplace looks cozy already. Hope you 2 enjoy your new home for many years to come!

PS, I love your statement about needing a break from retirement.:laughing:

/ New house starting #39  
The beams do not need replacing! (That's $2K for furnishings!) The color is perfect with the kitchen cabinets which they come down to. Mike's first thoughts were correct on his choice for the color. The ovens are in and look great. the decision to get a convection microwave that can double as a warming oven were well thought out. The porch, railings, and shutters should really make the house pop! Just a few more weeks and then move in time. The slower pace of yard landscaping will be just in time for spring.

/ New house starting
using that $2k for furnishings is a good point. We need every room except dining. "slower pace of yard landscaping" ....???? ...oh that's right ....your boss isn't Bernice.