New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project
One consideration is the taxable value. As a working farm, here, the taxes are ~2/3 less for ag use. Hay is also a commodity that is becoming rare in my area. As the older guys retire, the land is being converted to houses, not kept as a farm. Of course, cattle and hay can make a decent combination. Direct to consumer beef sales (interwebz, roadside) is fairly profitable. However, shipping costs for processing at a USDA licensed facility can become problematic.
Cotton is making a comeback to the east and south of me, don’t know the economics of it though.
I need to look into how to become ag property and the steps to become a farm. My first thought was hay for pasture, but after looking into equipment prices, I just don't see how I could pay it back with just 25 acres. I could possibly buy some older equipment, but I don't have the slightest idea on working on hay equipment.

Second thought was cattle, but I work in the oilfield 14/14 rotation and wouldn't have anyone to help on the time away.

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #12  
In my area woodland is taxed less. If feasible one could put the open area in CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) and the Feds will pay you an annual rent for 10 or more years. Check out all the details first with your FSA and SWC people.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project
We were able to get the cement trucks in between the rainy days.
Pump Truck.jpg
Arial Foundation.jpg
Foundation.jpg

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #14  
I need to look into how to become ag property and the steps to become a farm. My first thought was hay for pasture, but after looking into equipment prices, I just don't see how I could pay it back with just 25 acres. I could possibly buy some older equipment, but I don't have the slightest idea on working on hay equipment.

Second thought was cattle, but I work in the oilfield 14/14 rotation and wouldn't have anyone to help on the time away.
Two other things you could look into that may be less time consuming

/ New Home and ~70 Acres of Unknown Project #15  
Have you thought about renting out the hay fields? Let someone else plant and harvest then no equipment costs to you except for the equipment you want for personal use.