New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift #1  

new holland chris

Tractor
ford new holland workmaster 70
I have a 2017 new holland work master 70 and the only way I can get it to start is by holding the key in the start position and moving the range shifter until it finally starts. When that doesn't work we pull start it. Is there a way to bypass this or something?

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift #2  
You probably have a bad neutral detection switch. You could bypass it by jumping at the solenoid but if it was in gear the tractor would jump forward and continue moving if the engine started. This could be bad for whoever is jumping the solenoid - as in fatal. Try to check the neutral indication switch.

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift
Thank you sir. Where exactly is the neutral detection switch?

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift #4  
I suggest checking in with your New Holland dealer to look at a parts manual. Location will vary by tractor and may not be readily accessible though it could be a common problem with your model.

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift
I suggest checking in with your New Holland dealer to look at a parts manual. Location will vary by tractor and may not be readily accessible though it could be a common problem with your model.
Okay thank you I appreciate your help

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift #6  
Thank you sir. Where exactly is the neutral detection switch?
Go to the Messick web site and look up the parts list for your tractor model. See if you can find the neutral start switch. Most of the time they are on the clutch so you have to press all the way down on the clutch to start.

/ New holland work master 70 won't start without shifting the hi/lo gearshift #7  
I can't help with the location of the neutral safety switch, but here's a link to the drawings on Messick's sight:

On my 22 year old NH TC33D, I had a similar problem. There are 3 ranges, with 2 neutrals in the shift lever. After a time, the tractor would only start in one of the neutral positions, Sometimes I would have to jiggle the lever around to get it to start. Then eventually it stopped working in either of the neutral positions. To start, I had to short the terminals on the starter solenoid whit a screwdriver.

There is a little roller switch which would be activated by a bump at each neutral position. It turns out the roller had started to break off the end of the arm on the switch. I had to remove a rear wheel to get to it, but other than that replacement was simple.

Your tractor is much larger and newer, but I suspect something similar is happening: the switch is either broken or has come loose and moved out of position (assuming they have not replaced it with some sort of solid state sensor on more modern tractors).