/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #1  

elkhurst1

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH tn75da & tn55
Hello all,
I've been looking at disc mowers. And at this point I have it narrowed down
to either a New Holland or a Kuhn.
I'm still not sure on which to buy...a 6 disk or 5 disk. But, in the 5 disk models which is the Kuhn GMD 500 and the HD New Holland H6730 which I have prices for, the Kuhn is about 750 dollars more between 2 dealers. The Kuhn dealer is 30 minutes up the road vs the NH dealer being 2 hours down the road.
My question is...is the NH a better quality machine than the Kuhn, or is the Kuhn the better mower?
Granted, close parts availability is a plus. But, price is also an issue as is quality. :confused:

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #2  
We have sold hundreds of the Fort/First Choice Disc mowers in the last 12-15 years with very good results. We stock over $60K in new and good used parts. Parts support with next day air delivery is available. A 2060 (7 ft 10inch) costs $6495 + about $125 delivery to Business or truck terminal in WV. Driveline parts, drive belts, blade bolts, blades, etc. are all generic and available at most Tractor Supplys. Ken Sweet

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #3  
i like the nh the best because if u have a bearing go out in anything u dont have to break the bar in half u just have to remove to bolts and pull that section out and if u need to finsh cutting u can leave that section out

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #4  
The GMD series NH, Deere, Gehl made by Kuhn were all gear drive and if a idler gear or bearing goes out, you will need to split the cutterbar to repair. Ken Sweet

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #5  
the 615,616,617 and the new h series mowers is not made by kuhn and you dont have to split the whole cutter bar on. if you can split the cutter bar on them will you please post a picture of it and how u did it

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #6  
the 615,616,617 and the new h series mowers is not made by kuhn and you dont have to split the whole cutter bar on. if you can split the cutter bar on them will you please post a picture of it and how u did it

The GMD series are the ones I am talking about. That is what you usually find when shopping for a used disc mower. I am not referring to current production. Ken Sweet

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #7  
The GMD series are the ones I am talking about. That is what you usually find when shopping for a used disc mower. I am not referring to current production. Ken Sweet

oh your talking about the old 462/463 models but i thought they where older then the gmd series but i know they where made by kuhn

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #8  
NH probably has the best disc mower out there. THe cutter bar is built tough and like said previously, if you hit something, all you have to do is undo 4 bolts, put in a new shear hub and off you go in less than 10 minutes. Each disc head has it's on oil bath so the bar doesnt get "infected" with metal if something should break and if it is a bad hit then each disc head is removable without having to take the whole bar apart.

/ New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #9  
NH probably has the best disc mower out there. THe cutter bar is built tough and like said previously, if you hit something, all you have to do is undo 4 bolts, put in a new shear hub and off you go in less than 10 minutes. Each disc head has it's on oil bath so the bar doesnt get "infected" with metal if something should break and if it is a bad hit then each disc head is removable without having to take the whole bar apart.

The Fort disc mowers have a pod design that pulls out with 4 bolts. They have a easy and quick replaceable pinion gear shaft that has a groove cut in it to allow it to shear off in the event of a drastic object hit. I don't know if you can see the groove in the picture or not. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• fortpiniongearpod.gif
    fortpiniongearpod.gif
    44.4 KB · Views: 4,166
  • fortcutterbarcutaway.gif
    fortcutterbarcutaway.gif
    32 KB · Views: 7,118
   / New Holland vs Kuhn Disc mower #10  
The Fort disc mowers have a pod design that pulls out with 4 bolts. They have a easy and quick replaceable pinion gear shaft that has a groove cut in it to allow it to shear off in the event of a drastic object hit. I don't know if you can see the groove in the picture or not. Ken Sweet

just about every disc mower made now is like that but if the idler gear goes out on that model u must split the bar all the way down and on the nh u just rmove to tie bolts and pull that one section and if need to u can leave that section out and pull the bar back together and go finish cutting hay