New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro?

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #1  

Billy Bee

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 33, John Deere 3020
Looking at a new holland tc 40 da, with bucket and forks, 2007 so no emissions,1255 hrs. they are asking $19700
Looks to be in very nice shape. Just wondering why only a 2 speed hydrostat? Anyone of you guys have one? Is one range
too slow and the other too fast? I like the Shibuara built New Hollands, just not too comfortable with the 2 speed hydro.
I am currently using a New Holland TC33 gear. Want to upgrade to a little bigger tractor with hydro, quick attach, and more lift.
What do you think?
Thanks, Bill

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #2  
They have a range lever that controls the high and low ranges and I really like my TC45DA.

However, there is also separate an electric shifted 2 speed range which allows on the move, so they have 4 ranges. It has a fender mounted switch and there is a loader joystick mounted switch too.

With the range lever in the high position and the 2 speed switch in low I can do most of my bushhog work. However, on the steeper hills I shift the range lever to low, but with the 2 speed I can switch to high and mow the rest of the field and not feel like I am going to slow.

Tillage/dirt work will be done in low range and the 2 speed in low, but once again the 2 speed can be shifted on the move when more speed is required.

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #3  
I owned a TC40D and later two TC40DA tractors (my dealer was very good on one year trades) and was most pleased with them. I think the 2-speed hydro transmission was one of the most impressive pieces of technology used in a compact utility tractor. I usually could pick the transmission range for a job and seldom had to stop to switch ranges. I just hit the thumb switch to cycle between a high and low. It was extremely smooth and reacted quickly.

I also liked the 4 cylinder Shibaura engine. It had plenty of power and was amazingly quiet running for a compact tractor. Now, all of my tractors had the SuperSteer front axle which I sometimes had mixed feelings about. 95% of the time I loved it because no compact tractor could turn as short. Also, it would disengage the 4 wheel drive when it went into the tightest of the turns. There was no scuffing on turf and the turning circle was amazing.

But, the SuperSteer axle has this "quirk" where when you start the turn the front of the tractor goes in the opposite direction for just a few inches, then it becomes "normal" again. Again, 95% of the time its not an issue but on ocassion if I was trying to feather the front loader into a particular position that front end movement could cause a little frustration. But once I got accustomed to it the annoyance was very minimal.

I don't know if the tractor you are looking at has the SuperSteer axle as it is an option. I just think its a good idea to try it first especially if it will have the front loader.

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #4  
I would post a couple of pictures of the TC40DA I owned a few years back.

1704720594213.png

1704720559273.png

Attachments

• 1704720645924.png
    1704720645924.png
    837.6 KB · Views: 30
   / New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #5  
Looking at a new holland tc 40 da, with bucket and forks, 2007 so no emissions,1255 hrs. they are asking $19700
Looks to be in very nice shape. Just wondering why only a 2 speed hydrostat? Anyone of you guys have one? Is one range
too slow and the other too fast? I like the Shibuara built New Hollands, just not too comfortable with the 2 speed hydro.
I am currently using a New Holland TC33 gear. Want to upgrade to a little bigger tractor with hydro, quick attach, and more lift.
What do you think?
Thanks, Bill
I bought a Case DX 40 in 2008 same tractor just red it has the 2 range hydro with the high low button on the fender and loader lever. Works very well for snowplowing with a blade on the front mostly plow in high range low. It has been trouble free I did add a Curtus cab with heat but do not have AC. Tractor seems to be well built no issues and very good visability as far as seeing the bucket on the loader. The high low is shift on the fly so no stopping between. I usually run around 2000 rpm when plowing snow. One thing I would like is a faster speed on road although I don't drive it on road very often.

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #6  
Like the others have said it really has 4 speeds, the 2-range hydro lever and the turtle/rabbit buttons on the joystick and the fender. I rarely use the high range, just put it in low range and switch between turtle and rabbit speeds. But most of my work is confined to a couple of acres right around the house and barn. The cruise control is nice, it gets used while dragging the arena.

100_0913.JPG

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #7  
I have a TC 45d which I traded up from a 29d which had a 3-speed hydro. I almost never used the middle range of the 29.I think most people just get hung up on more is better where if it was a gear tractor that would be true, but it is a hydro. I never got in a situation where I said I wish I had another Range. 🍻

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro?
Well, I bought the tractor, there is a lot to like about it. The rabbit turtle on the fender and joystick is a smooth transition, swing away seat, easily accessible fuel tank, etc. We are getting some nasty weather, so I haven't picked it up yet.
Thanks for the replies,
Bill

/ New Holland TC 40 DA 2 Speed hydro? #9  
Late to this, but I think you will be pleased with your tractor. I have a 2005 TC40DA that I purchased new, based on my research here. Back then there was a gentleman - and that is the only term to describe him - with a member name of jinman, who taught me everything I needed to know about this tractor. I'd recommend you look up the old posts.