New Holland Hydraulics

/ New Holland Hydraulics #1  

Believer

Silver Member
I'm new to tractors; bought a used TN75 for mowing a recent land purchase. I need a lesson on hydraulics on this tractor. It has a loader joystick and also a vertical lever that's about 18" long by the right fender. The tractor is a 2000 year model. There are three valves. Two of the valves have red and blue covers over the hydraulic fittings and are the top two valves. The lower valve has no covers. I connected a cylinder to the lowest set of fittings (without the covers) and operated the vertical lever but the cylinder didn't operate. Moving the lever definitely put a load on the tractor motor. Am I hooking this up right? Could I have the wrong type of fittings? Should I try one of the loader valves? Thanks.

/ New Holland Hydraulics #2  
Stop trying to blindly hook up the ports without knowing what your doing or you are goining to break the hydraulic pump, if you havent allready. That part you said about loading the engine up was the pump deadheading.

Are you putting a loader on a tractor that never had one before?

Last edited:
   / New Holland Hydraulics #3  
Stop trying to blindly hook up the ports without knowing what your doing or you are goining to break the hydraulic pump, if you havent allready. That part you said about loading the engine up was the pump deadheading.

Are you putting a loader on a tractor that never had one before?

Ken, while I agree that you should know as much as possible about your tractor's hydraulic ports, I believe it is normal even on a working open center remote port to hear the engine load up as the lever is moved from center to the operate position. That's the way it works on my New Holland tractor. If there is complete deadheading in the port, the system relief valve will take care of the hydraulic system and pump. That's what it is designed to do. It's probably a misnomer to call it "deadheading" because the relief valve is in the system. Real deadheading is when the pump is sealed off with no relief.

I'm not sure about the way the TN75 remote ports are mechanized. I do know that rear remotes are used for the loader with cables actuating the valve to operate the FEL. What the remote levers look like or where they are located is not something I know off the top of my head. My guess is that the OP, believer, should post this question in the New Holland Owning/Operating forum under the title "TN75 Hydraulic Remotes" so that someone who is an expert can respond. Being a post in the general forums and under a general title will delay a knowlegeable response.

/ New Holland Hydraulics #4  
I'm new to tractors; bought a used TN75 for mowing a recent land purchase. I need a lesson on hydraulics on this tractor. It has a loader joystick and also a vertical lever that's about 18" long by the right fender. The tractor is a 2000 year model. There are three valves. Two of the valves have red and blue covers over the hydraulic fittings and are the top two valves. The lower valve has no covers. I connected a cylinder to the lowest set of fittings (without the covers) and operated the vertical lever but the cylinder didn't operate. Moving the lever definitely put a load on the tractor motor. Am I hooking this up right? Could I have the wrong type of fittings? Should I try one of the loader valves? Thanks.

I looked it up on New Holland's parts web site. There are _many_ varriations of 2 or 3 remote setups. Yikes!

Typically there is a hyd lever for each pair of hyd remotes.

Ford/New Holland often has a special set of remotes for their load monitor option. I do not know if that is offered on your tractor.

As well, previous owner could have added an electrical setup that multiplies the number of hyd outlets a tractor has. This often has a button or 2 on the hyd lever to control which outlets are active.

With 3 sets of remotes appearing on the back of your tractor, would be nice to get a good picture of the remotes & the hydraulic lever(s) to understand what setup you have.

Typically if you had 2 or 3 remotes, you would also have that many levers, one to control each remote. If you are only seeing one remote lever, something is not adding up right. You should at least see 2 of them.

For just checking things out - you didn't do any harm to your tractor by loading the hyd pump up 'deadheading' the lever as you did. You would _not_ want to do that for long periods of time of course! :)

Obviously, you have ordered amanual for your tractor from your nearby dealer; or from the New Holland web site. Your tractor is complex enough to need that manual.

With pics, we can figure it out. But, you have a complex enough system, that we could guess wrong. There are several options or directions to go with that many outlets.

Most compact tractors have only one set of remotes, if that. With you seeing 3, you should have at least 2 plus a load monitor setup (typically only useful for plowing....) and that's a lot to just know off the top of the head.

--->Paul

/ New Holland Hydraulics #5  
This is not rocket science. Forget Load Monitor; It is not available on a TN tractor. A 2000 model year TN won't have a mid mount valve, only rear remotes. The rear remote valve coupler pairs are oriented horizontally as are the valve spool slices that supply them. Kneeling facing backwards in the seat, observe the valve ends of the operating cables and the levers thay attach to. These parts are located on the front side of the valves, opposite the couplers which are on the back. Move the long lever mounted to the fender forward and back and determine which valve spool is moved by which cable. Do the same for the fore and aft movement of the joystick, then the side to side movement of the joystick. Attach the hoses from your attachment to the coupler pair you prefer.

/ New Holland Hydraulics
Rick, that's exactly what I did. I connected the cylinder to the lowest spool valve which is the valve the tall lever connects to. Operating the lever put a load on the motor but did not move the cylinder.

/ New Holland Hydraulics #7  
TN75 - Does anyone know how to eliminate joystick excess play when connected to the rear remotes?

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_175151.jpg
    IMG_20201117_175151.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
   / New Holland Hydraulics #9  
TN75 - Does anyone know how to eliminate joystick excess play when connected to the rear remotes?
Joystick play, if the joints at the valve and the joystick connections are not worn, points to the joystick itself. Remove the boot and look at the ball joints of the joystick.
Most likely need to replace the joystick as an assembly as repair parts for the joystick are not available.