New Holland 575 needles broke

/ New Holland 575 needles broke #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
both needles broke the other night, only problem I found that may have caused it was the knotter shear bolt had broken. So I replaced the needles and the shear bolt, checked the timing, adjusted the needles and was scared to power the baler back up in case I missed something. I ended up baling around 500 bales after the repair with no problems thankfully but I am still not comfortable. Did a $1.50 part really cause $300 damage or is there a different problem I didn't see yet? The shear bolt appeared to have been weakened previously as the break was discolored. If it is just the shear bolt as the problem would it make sense to replace it yearly? I have never had that bolt break before in the 12 years I've owned it.

/ New Holland 575 needles broke #3  
I'll add to what RickB that plunger head stop is not operating correctly to protect needles.