Traction New Holland 1720 front wheels won't turn

/ New Holland 1720 front wheels won't turn
Of course the tractor has a front axle dipstick..me! It'll work fine as a rear wheel drive tractor if the repair doesn't fit our budget right now. I rapped the pinion shaft a few times with a lead hammer...still no budging it. One of those bearings has cracked and wedged. Pics of that to come, too.

/ New Holland 1720 front wheels won't turn #22  
I own the same machine and NH doesn't give parts away; that looks EXPENSIVE!!
Yep; this confirms it (oil is your friend)!!!
Mite wana look for a salvage unit at the tractor junk yard?
90cummins

/ New Holland 1720 front wheels won't turn #23  
Any chance you can salvage the r&p and just replace bearings? It might howl a bit but at least on my phone the teeth don't look damaged.
I once (used your dipstick) ran a 58 Ford half ton 700 miles with barely any rear end oil. (Noise was my dipstick, come to think of it.) Truck went another 5000 mi to Alaska, noisy but made it.
Jim

It's funny you mention putting it back together. Once I cleaned everything off and spun the bearings and planetary gears by hand, I found that they're smoother than Jameson's on the rocks. The R&P gear set has no galling or burnishing at all. I was really surprised. The pinion shaft needs a new bearing and seal. Everything needs a thorough cleaning but I think it will go back together just fine. :cool2:

pinion.JPG

/ New Holland 1720 front wheels won't turn #25  
I think you are extremely lucky that something didn't break when that front end locked up. If you only have to replace the pinion seal and bearing, you should stop by and buy a lottery ticket too. :thumbsup:

The bearing locally (32206J) only cost about $17 and I'll stop by the tractor place in Batavia, NY to pick up a seal. I'm on vacation for the next 18 day so by Friday everything should be back together. I can then mow the lawn that more resembles a hay field!