New Guy on the Block

/ New Guy on the Block #11  
Delw, please let me/us know what you think of the 2425. I to am looking at that model!

KCook

/ New Guy on the Block
Sorry, Guys, for not responding sooner to some comments and questions but I just rolled back into town. I'll try to let this reply answer most of the previous questions.

When my decision came down to the smaller "mini-excavator" series, I too was initially confused because even clicking on the 2425 link led you to a 2422 page. It was only after clicking on virtually every page on their site and carefully dissecting their price information page that it became apparent that there were really two different models. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 25hp Kohler engine (even though I'm another one of those guys who wishes they used the 30hp Kubota or Deutz diesel engine...but that's another discussion!) because I found out a factory service center is less than a mile from my house. Being able to get a NP2425 trailer package for $24,600 seemed like a pretty good deal when comparing to other similar units out there. For example, GEHL makes an Avantage (that's right...no "d" in it) mini-loader that's articulated, has a bunch of different attachments for the front, and one I could sit on at the local Stan Houston dealership. They were just getting started with handling them (the AL-20DX) and were trying very hard to give me some good discounts but there were two things that would keep me from ever buying one...first was the fact that they have a single hydraulic lift cylinder so their lifting capacity isn't as good as the Power Trac. But that wasn't the real problem with the design...it was that you could not look right down in front of you with an unobstructed view of what you were looking at because they then had a wider piece of sheet metal than the cylinder blocking your sight-line. In fact, if you look at their brochure or pictures on-line, every single one of them shows the operator with his head cocked to the side so he can see what he is doing. Secondly...I could never afford to buy one due to the price. Just for example, they too offered a trailer package that included an extra auger, dozer blade, and a levelor/carry all but did not include a stump cutter, lift boom, second bucket, OR ...a backhoe attachment. The cost would have been $18,625 for the unit and another $14,175 for the trailer and attachments or a total of $32,800. This, in my mind, is paying a lot more ($32,800 vs. $24,600), and getting less. They do have some neat attachments that PT doesn't offer but for anything hydraulic-driven, they are much higher (i.e. 40" tiller = $2920 vs. PT's 48" for $900). My dad is extremely gifted as a welder so don't be too surprised if he and I come up with adaptations of other manufacturer's attachments or make up new ones.

Well, this is getting way too long! They should have some kind of word limit for guys like me ! Thanks for putting up with me.