New guy, looking for more opinions.

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #1  

Joe Batt

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1250
I posted before about a rough rocky field. Looks like picking up rocks will become the nightly walk for a while. I'll try to get the field rolled, if I can find anyone, but I've not heard of anyone with a roller.

My hay guy complained that the rocks damaged his mower and the rough field was too much wear on his rake, but his round baler was fine. So to make this a little easier for him (or his replacement), I'm thinking about using my 60" rotary mower next year, buying a 12' 3 point rake and only paying to have someone round bale it. It looks like the baler is the expensive, high maintenance implement in this process anyway.

If that works out, I'll invest in a disk mower. I have a 31 hp Massey Ferguson 1250, which is a little light for a good mower. I plan on replacing it in about 5 years. The field should produce about 60 ton, but I only need about 20 ton for my sheep (so the losses due to using a brush hog shouldn't be an issue).

Here is a picture of the grass that he left because he didn't want to tear up his rake. The alfalfa really took off after this photo was taken. We've had a lot of rain for this time of year. I do not expect to get another cutting this year though.

20210806_194230.jpg

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #2  
Do u mean brush hog type mower?

/ New guy, looking for more opinions.
Yes. I'm considering mowing with my single spindle bushhog/brushhog/rotary mower. It sounds like I will end up leaving 20% or so on the ground. Anything else I need to know about mowing with a bushhog?

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #4  
Some of them you could remove one side side and cut hay. Half the skirt.

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #5  
Anything else I need to know about mowing with a bushhog?

As you are working toward a smooth field and will be cutting grass and not brush and saplings, consider a Rotary Cutter with twin tail wheels for stability and an even cut, rather than a single tail wheel.

For those cutting brush a single tale wheel model is desirable for backing into heavy brush areas.

I do not hay. But I operate a 60" HD Rotary Cutter on a similar spec tractor regularly.

Massey Ferguson 1250​

Massey Ferguson 1250 tractor photo
1992 - 2002
1200 Compact Series
Compact Utility tractor
Iseki built
Series:124012501260
Production
Distributor:Massey Ferguson
Manufacturer:Iseki
Type:Compact Utility tractor
Original price:$16,000 (1999 )

Massey Ferguson 1250 Power
Engine (gross):34 hp
25.4 kW
Engine (net):32 hp
23.9 kW
PTO (claimed):27.3 hp
20.4 kW
Massey Ferguson 1250 Engine
Iseki 1.5L 3-cyl diesel
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering:power assist
Brakes:wet disc
Cab:Two-post foldable ROPS.
Transmission:16-speed synchro shuttle
Photos
Capacity
Fuel:7.9 gal
29.9 L
Hydraulic system:6.6 gal
25.0 L
Hydraulics
Type:open center
Capacity:6.6 gal
25.0 L
Pump flow:6.3 gpm
23.8 lpm
Total flow:9.6 gpm
36.3 lpm
Tractor hitch
Rear Type:I
Control:position control
Rear lift (at ends):2866 lbs
1300 kg
Power Take-off (PTO)
Rear PTO:independent
Clutch:electro-hydraulic
Rear RPM:540 (1.375)
Engine RPM:540@2389
Mid PTO:independent (optional)
Clutch:electro-hydraulic
Mid RPM:1960
Engine RPM:1960@2600

Dimensions
Wheelbase:67.9 inches
172 cm
Length:121.9 inches
309 cm
Width:55.3 inches
140 cm (min)
Height (ROPS):85.4 inches
216 cm
68.9 inches
175 cm (folded)
Weight:2746 lbs
1245 kg (4WD)
Ground clearance:12.2 inches
30 cm
Front tread:39 to 50.9 inches
99 to 129 cm (2WD)
Front tread:42.2 inches
107 cm (4WD)
Rear tread:43.3 to 55.9 inches
109 to 141 cm

MF1250 has enough power and weight to operate a 60" Rotary Cutter of 600 to 800 pounds weight.

A 60" Rotary Cutter pulled over a smooth field a 5-mph will cut about 2.5-2.75 acres per hour.

MF 1250 would have enough power and weight to operate a 72" Rotary Cutter in moderate length grass, weighing up to 800 pounds. In longer grass you might have to cut a partial, rather than full width swathe, at times.

A 72" Rotary Cutter pulled over a smooth field at 5-mph will cut about 3.0-3.25 acres per hour.

Two examples: Land Pride RCF2060, RCF 2072.

Last edited:
   / New guy, looking for more opinions. #6  
Soooooo, uhhhhhh, cut hay with a brush hog eh. I suppose you will be able to rake some up and bale it but it will be all beat up and poor quality feed. You will lose much of the small pieces the rotary blades chop up. I have never seen, or heard of, anyone cutting hay with a brush hog.

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #7  
If the problem is rocks then buy or rent a rock rake to remove the rocks.

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #8  
A skeleton or rock bucket will do wonders in the spring when ground is soft and rocks are looser and easier to skim. Way better than picking by hand. It will also flatten ground a little. Hay cut with brush hog will be difficult to rake and bale.

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #9  
If the problem is rocks then buy or rent a rock rake to remove the rocks.
Yup, can't remember if I replied to a similar question on another thread. Rock hound or Harley rack will pickem/windrow them for you.

Best,

ed

/ New guy, looking for more opinions. #10  
You can't really cut HAY with a bush-hog type mower. That's like cutting with your lawn mower and then trying to tie string around the clippings. It repeatedly chops the same grass, etc. as you mow over it, unlike a discbine, haybine, or sickle-bar that just cuts the plant at the base and then lays it on the ground.

Looks like you've got a pretty good crop of foxtails going there too. They are the worst for horses and will blister their mouths in short order. OK for sheep or will the sheep pick around them? Foxtails are a real problem here in Ohio in July and August too.

The cheapest way I've found to cut hay with limited horsepower is to find a decent NH haybine. But you'll still have to deal with the rocks . . .

Good luck.