New garage exterior siding advice

/ New garage exterior siding advice #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

I am building a 28X32 detached garage on my property. It is located on my woodland but this is also where i have a cabin and spend a lot of time. So i don't want a luxury siding one would pick in a city but i am looking for something durable with a good look. Roofing will be with red metal sheets.

What do you guys used for siding on your garage ? So far i am leaning toward a kind of brown metal sheets or Canexel.

Thanks

/ New garage exterior siding advice #2  
Pretty hard to beat the same "barn metal" that's probably on your roof. It's not hard to soften it's industrial look (if you like) with some different color corners and/or a wainscot of an accent color or even add shutters.
Visit Morton buildings web site or Everlast metals for some ideas.

/ New garage exterior siding advice #3  
"Barn metal" or one brand of concrete/sawdust composite often called Hardboard or thicker Hardie plank. There are many brands.

/ New garage exterior siding advice
Very good advices. l've reviewed Morton website, very nice !

Thanks

/ New garage exterior siding advice #5  
Very good advices. l've reviewed Morton website, very nice !

Thanks

Very nice, rather pricey. With Morton there are periodic "sales" on their buildings. Shop around for local builders.

/ New garage exterior siding advice #6  
Hi all,

I am building a 28X32 detached garage on my property. It is located on my woodland but this is also where i have a cabin and spend a lot of time. So i don't want a luxury siding one would pick in a city but i am looking for something durable with a good look. Roofing will be with red metal sheets.

What do you guys used for siding on your garage ? So far i am leaning toward a kind of brown metal sheets or Canexel.

Thanks

I just finished up my garage similar in size to yours. I used a composite/wood siding (11 7/8" x 16' ) called "rough-Tex" siding. I think it is made by Georgia Pacific. I know HD carries it, but I got it at a local lumber yard for about a $1 cheaper per piece. I paid $11.25 per piece. It comes in 3 widths: 6", 8", and 12", plus 4x8 sheets. I have attached some pics of the garage with the siding. I used the 12", 1 1/2" overlap. I have found pieces of this material buried (on the surface, maybe 1/2 to 1" down) that is probably there for 5 or 6 years and they are "almost" still usable. This is not the James Hardie concrete siding. That stuff is difficult to put up, is very heavy, and breaks easily.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
I just finished up my garage similar in size to yours. I used a composite/wood siding (11 7/8" x 16' ) called "rough-Tex" siding. I think it is made by Georgia Pacific. I know HD carries it, but I got it at a local lumber yard for about a $1 cheaper per piece. I paid $11.25 per piece. It comes in 3 widths: 6", 8", and 12", plus 4x8 sheets. I have attached some pics of the garage with the siding. I used the 12", 1 1/2" overlap. I have found pieces of this material buried (on the surface, maybe 1/2 to 1" down) that is probably there for 5 or 6 years and they are "almost" still usable. This is not the James Hardie concrete siding. That stuff is difficult to put up, is very heavy, and breaks easily.

That is very nice. Finally having looked at Morton site, I'll go with metal sheets siding. I effectively realized that with very little attention i'll be able to avoid the "potatoes warehouse" look.

Anyone wants to share ideas on interior walls finishing ? OSB, drywall, other better ideas ?

Thanks all

/ New garage exterior siding advice #9  
Anyone wants to share ideas on interior walls finishing ? OSB, drywall, other better ideas ? Thanks all
WHITE metal

/ New garage exterior siding advice #10  
Pretty hard to beat the same "barn metal" that's probably on your roof. It's not hard to soften it's industrial look (if you like) with some different color corners and/or a wainscot of an accent color or even add shutters.
Visit Morton buildings web site or Everlast metals for some ideas.

We bought Morton barn and converted it to a house. When we built the barn Morton had 50 years warranty. They used to brag about that on their web site but I don't see it there anymore. Then we bought second Morton building and that is metal inside and out. The inside metal was way cheaper than drywall.