New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #21  
I don't see those as competing tools. Sure, you can use forks as a workaround for not having a grapple on some tasks. Unless you add a thumb to your forks, you will tend to lose brush along the way. The thumb also needs the 3rd function.

"Competing?" Well if you have a limited budget you have to decide where to spend your money.

Forks can do much of what a grapple can and can also do things a grapple cannot... such as moving pallets. I would say for most people pallet forks will be more useful than a grapple but again, JMO.

I know I can carry more brush on my forks than my neighbor can with his grapple. The angle is a bit deceiving but this was still a huge pile of brush.

Branson and Brush.png

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #23  
I regularly move IBC totes packed full of hardwood splits with it. Calculated weight of Madrone or Tan oak would be ~2000 lbs for 1/3 cord of green splits + 100 for the tote + 300 for the forks or about 2400. With a load out a bit from the pins such as a tote or a log in the grapple, often it's curl thats the limit rather than lifting.
Working the loader hard is probably hard on the front axle. But I need the stuff moved, so I'll deal with that if and when it happens. I check the axle oil level periodically and use gear oil. I made a modified breather so it does not leak oil on side hills. Newer models have the breather at the center of the axle where it belongs instead of the right steering knuckle.

Another nice thing about the pallet forks is that with a 3 point to quick tach adapter, you can use the 3 point hitch to get massive loads off the ground that a FEL could not lift. Whereas the FEL on the 3520 is rated at 2100 lbs at the pins, the 3 point is rated at a tad over 3300 lbs. This boulder had to be at least 3000 lbs.

3 Point Pallet Forks.png

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #24  
Bob, I am not saying don't buy pallet forks. I would agree than if you can only afford one, get the forks first. I also know that if I was moving a big load of brush like that, I would lose a bunch of it off the sides and such unless I stopped and tied it down or something. Loving pallet forks does not mean you have to hate on the grapple.

Great pictures, btw.

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #25  
Posted in wrong thread.

Sorry.

Must remember "coffee" before posting...

Last edited:
   / New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #26  
I have the MTL grapple. A little heavier than the Wicked, but quite a bit cheaper. I love it!

As far as FEL lift capacity, I have moved around some pretty heavy stuff and have yet to find something it could not lift.
Mind you you have to be careful to have ample ballast to move heavy loads safely. I have a 55 gallon barrel full of concrete as my ballast, a bit over 1200 lbs.

Not sure how I missed this thread the first time, but some good info here thanks @Asteral for the tips.

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #27  
Bob, I am not saying don't buy pallet forks. I would agree than if you can only afford one, get the forks first. I also know that if I was moving a big load of brush like that, I would lose a bunch of it off the sides and such unless I stopped and tied it down or something. Loving pallet forks does not mean you have to hate on the grapple.

Great pictures, btw.

Great points.

I don't actually have a grapple so I don't fully understand their value. In fact I've never even used a grapple so I don't know what I'm missing. I hope to have a grapple some day.

I had the 3520H out helping me hang deer fencing. This 330' x 7.5' roll of heavy duty fencing only weighs 46 pounds. That's a 10 foot stick of 1.25" electrical conduit attached to a concrete umbrella base. It pulls off real easy that one person can pull the entire roll in a straight line.

Branson Deer Fencing.JPG

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #28  
Great points.

I don't actually have a grapple so I don't fully understand their value. In fact I've never even used a grapple so I don't know what I'm missing. I hope to have a grapple some day.

I had the 3520H out helping me hang deer fencing. This 330' x 7.5' roll of heavy duty fencing only weighs 46 pounds. That's a 10 foot stick of 1.25" electrical conduit attached to a concrete umbrella base. It pulls off real easy that one person can pull the entire roll in a straight line.

View attachment 771206
That looks pretty cool.

Just curious what you have on the 3pt in that pic that's causing your back tire to squat that hard?

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #29  
That looks pretty cool.

Just curious what you have on the 3pt in that pic that's causing your back tire to squat that hard?

I have my backhoe on right now.

The flatness of the tire is due to my young neighbor who ran over a gopher trap and punctured the tire. He's been grounded.

/ New from Texas, and new/used Branson 3520 owner #30  
I have my backhoe on right now.

The flatness of the tire is due to my young neighbor who ran over a gopher trap and punctured the tire. He's been grounded.
Ouch.