New farm, need tractor

/ New farm, need tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just purchased a 500 acre farm in southeast Ohio, need some sound advice for what I need in a tractor. Farm is mostly woods with 20 acres of hayfield. Tractor to be used for bushhogging, planting food plots, some front loader work.What horsepower range should I need, 2 or 4 wheel drive. Thanks for any info, I've got a lot to learn.

/ New farm, need tractor #2  
If I had it, I would have an Kubota M Series - M6800SD or M8200 with 4WD and Loader. Either will easily handle 6 or 7 ft equipment and hay equipment. The size of the planter is only thing that might drive size up above the 62 PTO HP of the M6800. 4WD Tractor, Loader, 1 pair ext hydraulic valves, and Quick Connect Bucket approx $27,000 new for year 2000.

The M6800 burns a little less diesel and is a little more maneuverable than the M8200 or M9000. They are all fully synchronized 8F/8R with synchronized shuttle that is dash mounted. When you drop to the M4900 and M5700, there is only a very small change in size and a very significant change in power.

If I were in Ohio, I would pay the additonal money for a Cab on the tractor. Believe that is about $6000 more, so not cheap, but comfortable. Would be nice in Texas, but I can sweat a lot cheaper than that. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New farm, need tractor #3  
Looks like sound advice to me. I wouldn't want to go smaller than the M6800, but might go bigger if the pocketbook could stand it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ New farm, need tractor #4  
If you get a chance check out M9000.

Here on campus they just purchase two of these units and watching them work from time to time I'm impressed.

If your planing to manage your wood land 4wd does indeed come in handy.

Locate a dealership and feel comfortable with him or her and ask as many questions you can,also take the tractor for a spin or two.

Check out Craver.com
Learning can be fun when seeking information on a new tractor,so take your time and enjoy.

Take care and best wishes.

Thomas..NH

/ New farm, need tractor #5  
Buz, if you are looking at machines in this size, check out the Deere 5410 and 5510 tractors (65 and 75 HP respectively). I have a 5410 and couldn't be happier with it. When I went looking for a tractor I started out looking orange but once I realized I needed something bigger than the 4310, I liked the green machines better. DOn't get me wrong, I know Kubota makes great products, and if I wanted another smaller tractor I would probably buy a Kubota over the JD 4000 series, but in the bigger tractors, I really do think JD makes a better machine.

One thing to think about however, just because you have 500 acres, if all you are going to be doing with the tractor is manage the 30 or so acres of field, you probably could go a little smaller. It doesn't take a lot of HP to let the other 470 acres grow trees <ggg>.

Any chance you would share how much 500 acres of land costs in Ohio? I have 175acres and am trying hard to purchase another 100 acre and another 220 acre abutting parcels here in Massachusetts. I scan the internet all the time for larger parcels of land that are for sale all over the country, but my wife so far won't even consider moving to Montanta where you can find 1000-15,000 acre parcels for sale!....(if I could own a 5000-15000 acre chunk of land somewhere, I'd be about the happiest person in the world....)

Good luck with you 500 acres....I am jealous...

/ New farm, need tractor #6  
That is http://www.carverequipment.com shows the M Series and has prices for some of them.

The engine is the same cubic inches in the 6800, 8200, or 9000. The additional hp is from turbo and intercooler. Be really sure you need the additional HP as the size of the tractor WB is considerably larger, and turning radius, and the diesel tank is larger. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ New farm, need tractor
ejb, the land I bought is in southeast ohio. Most of the wooded land I looked at was going for 2000-2400$ and acre, somehow...by the grace of god, I got this parcel for little over 300K , has house, garage, buildings. etc. still can't believe how I made out. But, back to tractors, after some more research I think somewhere in the JD 4000 line is where I need to be , 5000 series JD are too big, I really won't be plowing, mostly bushhog, and tiller work. Are the Kubota's really better? How about parts availability??? Is a deere easier to get parts for. Thanks for the info.

/ New farm, need tractor #8  
Good Morning Buz.
Do you plan to manage your wood lands?
If so here something to consider.
The tractor with the loader plus attachment or wagon,dump cart will limit your turning,and the last thing you want to do would not the bark off the tress.
I would stay compact as much as possible also HST.

Yes indeed Kubota,John Deere,Kubota,New Holland,Kubota are all darn good tractors.
I'm sure getting parts for John Deere and New Holland shouldn't be a problem,but for a Kuboat......well I'll let someone else answer that,for I yet in the last 5+ years never needed any parts for my Kubota.

May you bring home a new tractor soon.

Take care.

Thomas..NH

/ New farm, need tractor #9  
>>I got this parcel for little over 300K

Sounds like you got a good deal...good luck.

/ New farm, need tractor #10  
Thomas,

You're a sly one! Since when does a Systems Operator need to get parts for tractors? And yes, Kubota's do need repair from time to time, like most good tractors depending on how you use them. For me, BLUE was the way to go, but I agree with most logical thinkers on this board, Blue, Green and Orange are all good tractors. Find the one that fits you best and a good dealer and you should be OK. Good Luck.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!