New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
New England summer is at the door but this summer is going to be cooler in my house for once, I hope. I been preparing for over a month, searching high and low and all over the place til I couldn't stand it anymore, 3 weeks ago I finnaly pick one and bought this AC at Walmart, a discontinued model at HD for some reason and Lowes never carried it>>>>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidai...h-Temperature-Sensing-Remote-Control/49844568

I wanted 10,000 BTU for my 375' SF room, and the issue I had was max window opening of 25", so had to take a few models back out of the cart. HD was the hardest place to figure the width out, on some models had to go to WM or Amazon to get the width verification, what a pain. Almost as bad as lifting that monstrosity into the window, how do people do it, I cant do that when I'm 80. I might have to build a box around it for winter survival, but I'll cross that snow bank when I get to it, Now I'm just waiting for summer to show after this blessed day, what a beautiful day it was here.

As usual I had to do some tweaking to get the AC to sit and fit snug-ish, the side panels didn't fit right at all, I took-em on the saw table for some read neck adjustment, made a long block to go in the window sil for the AC to sit on, not much support for a heavy AC on my 20 year old HD vinyl window frames. And then the AC bracket I did like, it holds as long there's not the slightest upward movement, so I screwed a block under that, now it wont come down unless it pulls my wall over............

IMG-2611.JPG InkedIMG-2612_LI.jpg InkedIMG-2613_LI.jpg

IMG-2614.JPG IMG-2616.JPG IMG-2622.JPG

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #2  
:thumbsup: . . . We will be cool now!

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #3  
New England summer is at the door but this summer is going to be cooler in my house for once, I hope. I been preparing for over a month, searching high and low and all over the place til I couldn't stand it anymore, 3 weeks ago I finnaly pick one and bought this AC at Walmart, a discontinued model at HD for some reason and Lowes never carried it>>>>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidai...h-Temperature-Sensing-Remote-Control/49844568

I wanted 10,000 BTU for my 375' SF room, and the issue I had was max window opening of 25", so had to take a few models back out of the cart. HD was the hardest place to figure the width out, on some models had to go to WM or Amazon to get the width verification, what a pain. Almost as bad as lifting that monstrosity into the window, how do people do it, I cant do that when I'm 80. I might have to build a box around it for winter survival, but I'll cross that snow bank when I get to it, Now I'm just waiting for summer to show after this blessed day, what a beautiful day it was here.

As usual I had to do some tweaking to get the AC to sit and fit snug-ish, the side panels didn't fit right at all, I took-em on the saw table for some read neck adjustment, made a long block to go in the window sil for the AC to sit on, not much support for a heavy AC on my 20 year old HD vinyl window frames. And then the AC bracket I did like, it holds as long there's not the slightest upward movement, so I screwed a block under that, now it wont come down unless it pulls my wall over............

View attachment 609251 View attachment 609252 View attachment 609253

View attachment 609255 View attachment 609256 View attachment 609257
Man you are lucky to get by so long without AC. I think I switched our HVAC unit from heat to cool back in March. Already had some 90F days. Right now at 7:30PM it is still 87 degrees. I bought a 14K BTU window unit for my shop but it was too costly to run it just for the hour or two I might be there each day (sometimes not at all) and I had to keep it on24/7 to have any benefit of it when I went to work. Now I just use a big 3 speed pedestal fan I got from Atwoods Farm and ranch store and it works good as long as I am not welding, then I have to shut it off, too much wind to even stick weld.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #4  
I think you're going to enjoy that. We did without AC for most of my life in CT but finally put in some window units in the 1990s and it was a real treat.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #5  

View attachment 609251 View attachment 609252 View attachment 609253

View attachment 609255 View attachment 609256 View attachment 609257

Aw come on....... It doesn't get that hot in Maine!
Most of the year it is not hot enough,.........that's why Bryant Stoves is just up the road from you in Thorndike.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............
Aw come on....... It doesn't get that hot in Maine!
Most of the year it is not hot enough,.........that's why Bryant Stoves is just up the road from you in Thorndike.

Your right it doesn't, think it got in the 90s 4-5 times last summer, mostly it was in the high 80s. It was just so freaken humid day after day after day all summer, I still have nightmares from it, the HHH started July 1st last year right through to last of September, wasn't I glad to see October. So I'm hopping in a few weeks when July shows up, I get home from work I can have a cool evening with 10,000 BTU's, up here it's a bad day when it doesn't get below 70* by 10 pm.

40 year's ago I worked a year at Bryant Stove's, they just got into fixing stoves at a new location. I worked on their final breed of highway sanders at their homestead now all closed up but they was popular in the 60, and 70s, they hooked on to any dumptruck. At the time that owner had the most unique sand blaster I ever heard of, all blasting was done in a 12' x 16' room, the operator was on the other side of a window running the blaster on a hydraulic knuckle boom, I thing they still do that at their other location on stoves.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............
I think you're going to enjoy that. We did without AC for most of my life in CT but finally put in some window units in the 1990s and it was a real treat.

You must leave your AC in all year? My daughter lives down there when she come's up here when it's not 80 she's chilly, maybe you seen her on your local news......... No hands in pockets.
Serving at Sea: Suiting up as a Sailor

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #8  
Mid 80s are common from late April into early November. I've never had more than a 6K window shaker in one room and I don't run it for more than a few hours in the afternoons or evenings. I'd rather sweat a bit than run up the money meter ... err, electric meter excessively.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #9  
Well that should work for you.
I got tired enough of the window units that I had a couple of mini-split units installed.
Went with Mitsubishi's one with four heads one with three, wish I had done so years ago.
Power bill went down better then $200 a month from using 4 window units to the split systems.
Enjoy the cool air in the summer and heat it back up in the winter.

/ New England summer is coming and I'm ready this time............ #10  
I remember when we built our house, I had it all roughed in for central AC, everything but the condensor outside. First year we just had no AC, second year I put a giant window unit in that handled just about the whole first floor. ..but was expensive to run and loud. ..following year I put in the condensing unit outside. .. our AC runs quite often in the summer. I would estimate it adds between 100-150 in July/Aug.