New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs?

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #1  

LFEngineering

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B1700, IH Cub Lo-Boy 185( Sold) & Deutz Allis 5215 (Sold)
I have a 90's Kubota B1700 with AG tires and want to trade for a set of turfs.

Rears are in good shape, comes with new spare tube
Fronts are brand new (less than 5 hours)

Attachments

• 20191010_180409.jpeg
    20191010_180409.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 763
  • Tires.JPG
    Tires.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 399
   / New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #2  
You may find somebody in the marketplace here on TBN, but I would suggest going to a local Kubota dealer. Bacon's is in Williamsburg and they are really good guys. Maybe they can help you.

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #3  
You may find somebody in the marketplace here on TBN, but I would suggest going to a local Kubota dealer. Bacon's is in Williamsburg and they are really good guys. Maybe they can help you.

Maybe also try...... Pete's Tire Barn Northampton/Springfield/Orange/Gardner, etc.

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #4  

Rears are in good shape, comes with new spare tube
Fronts are brand new (less than 5 hours)

Just curious...did you replace the fronts? what was on there before?...The reason I ask is I have B1700 and since I first got it there has been a problem finding the correct size front tires... the issue is well documented in the archives here in several different lengthy threads...the exact size that was stock on "some" B1700's (mine is early 90's) are no longer available from anyone except possibly one place in France IIRC...

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs?
They were replaced just prior to purchasing, but I still have the originals on the rims. The seller had them loaded and included them with the sale. I'll check it out tomorrow.

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #6  

I went from Ag to wider Turfs on several compact tractors. It always required new wheels as well as some careful figuring to stay with the same front-to-rear tire rolling circumference ratio. Staying with the same ratio is necessary to protect the 4wd mechanicals from broken drive/tranny shafts.

Some of the early compact literature had photos showing tractors fitted with an optional turf tire that fit on standard size Ag wheels. The tires shown always have a distinctive diamond shaped tread pattern. I never did see a compact with those tires mounted; most people looking for turfs want the lower wider turf tire for stabiity as much as anything - and so they order the wider tires on the different rim. I looked, but never could find a source for those larger narrower turf tires with the diamond pattern. But they might be available. Anyone know?
tScotty

I should clarify, I was assuming trading rims and tires if they were available.

I will try to give the dealers a call, but I'm guessing that route will be cost prohibitive.

From what I've seen so far the turf size rims are more expensive than I was expecting and due to their diameter/width really limit the tire selection.
I'm open to virtually any tire type that is not as aggressive as the AG's, meaning R3, R4, industrial, even automotive.
In the end I'm probably going to endup making rims. I know that seems like an overly aggressive plan, but I have some experience with rim building.
I made a custom set of super singles for my 36 Ford dump truck. (Long story short, it was to side step some local tax and commercial registration laws for dually vehicles)20181217_201954.jpeg20190414_202111.jpeg20190419_182146.jpeg20190419_182154.jpeg

Currently my plan is to figure out what OD / rolling circumstance is for existing tires. Verify that to the short list of tires in the owners manual. Then go tire shopping looking for the same OD's
Once I find the tires I want I'll work backwards finding rim diameter and width. You can purchase wheel hoops (blanks) online. After that it's a trip the steel yard and a day in the shop to cut the centers out.

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #9  
Currently my plan is to figure out what OD / rolling circumstance is for existing tires. Verify that to the short list of tires in the owners manual. Then go tire shopping looking for the same OD's
Once I find the tires I want I'll work backwards finding rim diameter and width. You can purchase wheel hoops (blanks) online. After that it's a trip the steel yard and a day in the shop to cut the centers out.

That's about what I did to start. Then jacked up one side of the tractor, put it into 4wd & with chalkmarks and wire pointers I hand rotated & counted front wheel rotations until the rear made a one complete rotation. That gave me the internal F/R gear ratio. Checked by comparing F/R tire rolling circumference as you are doing - which should have fronts slightly "pulling" @ about +5% relative to the gear ratio. Then found turf tires to match the ratio & found suitable rims by accident. So I didn't have to fabricate rims - which surprised me. Tires were easiest, for rims I just got lucky.
rScotty

/ New England - Kubota B1700 Ag Tires Trade For Turfs? #10  
It's a shame I am so far away from you. I would do this trade.