Oil & Fuel new diesel and fuel strainers?

/ new diesel and fuel strainers? #11  
Ok.. here's an update. I've been working onthe 7610s all morning.. took everything off from the tank up to the injector pump. every oring was mushy or eaton up, except the new nitrile orings I put in 4ys ago right at the tank tap..

I could not use the new CNH tap.. the thing would not thread into the tank past 1 thread... so I rebuilt the old tap using the needle and strainer from the new tap.. slapped it all back together and just filled it with 6g of diesel, bled it and started it . cleaned all the joints off with naptha and will see if I see any fuel leaks before filling her all the way up.

I guess this new diesel is garbage...

soundguy

I just wondered what it can do to innards of the injector pump and the injectors:(:(

Do you think damage there might be likely?, that's where the real pain begins:eek:

JC,

/ new diesel and fuel strainers?
Great.. so this is what I have to look forward to now... finding each bad oring in the system as it decides to croak. Oh well.. I got a big nitrile oring kit and alot of patience i guess..

Hopefully all the lines and taps and traps will be dry tomorrow and I can get on with business.

thanks for the ideas.

oh.. one more questions.. if this is a biodiesel blend fuel we are getting down here... is there anything I can do to 'help' the situation.. other than just repalcing old orings as they fail with newer hopefully more resistant ones? The ones I'm using now are nitrile / buna N. and say fuel / oil and *most petro solvents rated.. etc.

soundguy

/ new diesel and fuel strainers? #13  
Soundguy, just FYI, I don't know if this is relevant:

Recently I have been pouring straight PS into the little Thermostart reservoir on my Yanmar. I figured anything diesel-like should work about the same, since all it does is make a tiny preheat flame inside the intake to help cold starting. It's a lot easier to top up this 2 oz reservoir from a PS quart bottle, compared to dispensing a teaspoon or so from a jerry can.

After a year or two using PS for this instead of diesel, the 30 year old plastic reservoir is softening. I will need to replace it because the lid won't snap on securely. I think its plastic is the same variety used for plastic milk bottles.

I wonder if the softening is a reaction to your DFA, not to the fuel.

Not sure.. but I use it at reccomended level.. ( calibrated 'glug-glug' sound ).. I'd hate to think that PS.. a well respected manufafurer was selling 'break-down' in a can...

( Why not save a pS bottle and just fill with diesel to add to your thermostart reserve? )

Soundguy

/ new diesel and fuel strainers? #15  
Why not save a PS bottle and just fill with diesel to add to your thermostart reserve?
I plan to replace that reservoir with the improved model. Later Yanmars used a maintenance-free Thermostart system that gets refilled automatically, because the reservoir is in series with the injector overflow return tube.

Good idea.

soundguy