New Blades and Striping Kit

/ New Blades and Striping Kit #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
First, the Blades. I’m thinking about putting a different set of blades on my PT to experiment. Does anyone know the tradeoffs between different types of blade combinations (i.e., high lift vs low lift, gator blades vs standard blades, dual blades vs single blades, etc…). I wonder if the PT mower has sufficient torque to run duals? Or “straight” blades? I would also like to know the blade tip speed? Any idea how to figure this out?

Also, I want to build a striping kit using chain. Anyone tried one of these? From what I read over on lawnsite.com, looks like they work great. Should be relatively inexpensive if I can find an old chain at a flea market or somewhere.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit #2  
how to make strips is not very hard and you can save yourself all the aggravation and dollars to install double blades and stripping kits.

if you guys would do some searches you would find that this subject already has been posted at least once here before.

but here it is again: mow in the same tracks for three weeks same direction same way silver green silver aspect. if checkering is required select another direction (angle) of your CHOICE.

agronomically this is not wise because you compactation will be drastically increased by traveling over the same areas over and over again.

i have to say this because some of my ag students did figure out that i frequent this site ... and i am getting blasted for spreading herasie as far as turf management is concerned by suggesting how to best making strips and increase compactation.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit #3  
double blades i would not suggest on a pt finish mower. the engineering has to be improved. i have after some 300 plus hours of mowing had to replace several roller bearings. i don't think that until pt improves the spindle assembly (strength wise) that the additional pressure from another set can be can be withstood.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit
Hans, TX. I was thinking that a striping kit might be better than mowing in the same tracks all the time because it would potentially help avoid the compaction issue. Also, do you use PT blades or have you tried different blades? Any recommendations? From reading lawnsite.com, I know there are a lot of opinions about different blades. However, the PT is different than many mowers as it is rear discharge and mulching isn’t much of an option, compared to a “normal” mower at least. Also, for me personally, I don’t have an issue with leaves to worry about.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit #5  
with stripping kits, really, if you want to be the best on the block, you still have to do this three week bit, the kit just accentuates the laying down of the grass.

by the way go to lawnsite.com there is a lancaster county, pa outfit that makes a roller stripping kit for quite a few makes. you may be able to adapt the thought for the pt.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit #6  
i had to physically check, what blades other than pt blades i used on the 425. so far only the gator blades. they do a better job i think. make sure you go to a place to physical compare the gators and the pt blades. the gators are going to be a little havier.

/ New Blades and Striping Kit
Hans, thanks. I was wondering about Gator blades. I will give them a try.

I think it may be important to use offset blades (which are standard on my mower), rather than straight blades. The PT mower motor is probably high speed/low torque. Since offset blades would have less friction on the grass than straight blades, they probably work better. Also, I notice that the PT blades are rather thin at .150 inches thick. I imagine this is also due to the motor. Easy to keep a lighter mass up to speed.