Backhoe New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question.

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #1  

herdfan

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3045, Ford 2000
I finally took delivery of my new 3045 TLB with the C50HL and C86 hoe. I'll try and get some pics up later today (after it gets a bath).
This is a dirt-eating machine!
The hoe and loader mountings make this a seriously useable backhoe.

I dug out some wet mud/clay from some hillside slips with little resistance on either the hoe or fel side. The mud is heavy enough, but it takes some power to get past the suction holding all that muck together. I only wish I had a dumptruck to drop the loads into from the backhoe.

I bought 2 backhoe buckets - 18" and 36". The 36" has to make 1 scrape into dry turf before it can start taking bigger bites out of the ground. No problem getting started with the 18" bucket though. The buckets are very easy to swap around too - took around 10 minutes or so to do.

The FEL is very heavy although I already put a little dip in the bottom on some rock ledges up under the mudslide. It's no big deal (and kinda looks like little smile). The loader control stick is very easy to use and is in the perfect location.

My question regards the backhoe.
I had used the hoe around an hour and noticed that one of the hydraulic hoses entering the bottom of the boom was being pinch off when I turned the hoe to the right. A couple of zip ties fixed that problem, but I noticed that there is a small cut in the hydraulic hose. There is no leak (yet) and it looks like there is an inner layer to the hose, which is intact. I plan to give the dealer a call. Hopefully it won't be a problem to replace. Should I not use the hoe until the hose is replaced? Has anybody had this happen before? I would think that this could have been prevented at setup.

(Pics to come soon)

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #2  
A hydraulic hose has an inner rubber tube, wraped around that is wire braiding, either single wire or 2 wire, the rubber that was damaged is an outer cover that is layed on over the top of the wire braiding. The hose will not leak untill the inner rubber is broken.
Chuck M.

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #3  
I agree,I would not worry about the hose cut,Its basically cosmedics The steel braiding is some tough stuff.Happy diging and good luck with your new toy.Did you name her yet??

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #4  
I have a Branson 3520 that developed hose pinching/ chaffing in the second day. Although it wont effect your short term opperation, its not right. Yes, there is an inner layer of rubber hose that wont be effected for "X" number of years. However, if it wasn't damaged you might get 30 years of servive. It's your call... although if it were mine, I would have them replaced, either by myself or the dealer. Use it.

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question.
Thanks for the info on the hyydraulic line. I plan on contacting the dealer Monday to see about getting a replacement. If the hose fails prematurely then I'd be kicking myself for not trying to get it taken care of now. The backhoe works fine now, though.

I spent some time hauling away some more of the driveway mudslides. It's very slow-going, mainly getting the clay/mud hauled away and dumped. I'm using a dual axel trailer and my old Ford 2000 to haul the mud away and then pulling it off with the Century's hoe. I'm going to try and build a "pusher" frame for the loader so I can just push it off to save time. If that doesn't work then I may have to look into an old dump truck!

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #6  
WOW!!! a 36" hoe bucket. Got any pics of that? Do you use the 18" or 36" more? I'm kinda think a backhoe would have been nice but just couldn't bring myself to lay the $$$ for it. Now I'm kinda wishing I had but at the same time can't really justify the cost either. Maybe someday /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Carluman

This is the best pic I have so far.
I have used the 36" bucket almost exclusively since I bought the tractor. I just finished up digging a 30 foot culvert for a new road to our house site. The bucket made quick work of a nice trench! I'll swap out for the 18" bucket soon in order to drop in my utility lines and do some french drain work.
The upfront cost was pretty high, but this backhoe is a tool that will be used countless times! The least amount of shovel work, the better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 445143-Century Pic.jpg
    445143-Century Pic.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 316
   / New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #8  
I still can't get over a 36" bucket. I wouldn't have guessed that it would have enough power to make good use of one that size. I need to leave this site before I go broke.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I need to leave this site before I go broke )</font>
Actually, this site will help you make a more well-informed purchasing decision and avoid goig broke (provided you're in the market for these things).
You're right about the power issue, though. I can't pull out stumps very well with the bigger bucket because the bigger roots tie the bucket down too easily. This recent culvert ditch, though was like butter. Also, I've moved mountains of clay mudslides with this thing. I've even dug out part of my new basement with it!
I rented a full-sized Cat backhoe when my tlb was in the shop and it had a 24" bucket on it, but the depth was big as well, so the overall volume of material it could remove was pretty high for the width, and was easily 2x what my 36" bucket on the Century could hold.

/ New 3045. C86 Backhoe Question. #10  
Thanks for the info herdfan. Maybe someday I'll see one in action /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif