New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems....

/ New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems....
Re: New 2016 Kubota BX1870 w/MMM & FEL- first impressions and any problems....

Oh goody, 228 hrs or so, took off deck to see how POR-15 holding up and clean/grease, put sharp blades on. POR-15 was peeling in some spots, so I took pressure washer and cleaned all the POR-15 off. After I took blades off I removed cups to clean any buildup in them, and found something that concerned me on all 3 bearing housings (silver) the 2 outer part#'s are K5221-71212 and the middle one is K53713411-3. What is concerning to me is it looks like there are cracks running vertically in the taper part of housing on all 3. I grease them every 5 mowings (about 1-3/4-2 hrs each time to mow). I will take photos to dealer and see if it's a common issue, design flaw, or something that happens and not to worry about it(hoping for the latter).

Wow, a couple years flew by. A little update. Past few months seems like a grinding/clicking noise coming from under seat, only in 4wd and going forward, not so much in reverse. I thought it might be the universals on the 4wd shaft to front, the rear one does bind ever so slightly on the one side. I bought a new front and rear universal and installed, noise still there. disconnected from front axle and turned the shaft by hand- clicking on inside of case where 4wd shaft goes in. Dropped it off at dealer, it better still be covered by the 6yr powertrain warranty. A whole 439 hours on machine, about the same amount I had on my GR2100 when the rear crapped the bed on that one. I shoulda known staying with Kubota would bite me in the a$$:mad::mad::mad:......

Update from dealer.... no clue:mad::mad::mad:. They can definitely feel vibration in floorboards when in 4wd, not in 2wd. Tore front axle apart and everythings ok up there. I told them when I dropped it off AND showed a video from underneath that noise is coming from output area of transmission , with 4wd shaft off. They think it's the splined shaft that the 4wd universals are on, not in stock of course, said he was trying to get that covered. I took them the new universals I bought. Losing faith real quickly.....

Ended up being the spline shaft that the front and rear universals attach to. Dealer has 6 hrs labor tearing into front end instead of just taking shaft out and isolating it first. Kubota won't warranty it, which is BS , machine only has 439 hrs. on it. Sliding end is not mentioned in owners manual ANYWHERE to be lubricated. If it was specified, it would have been done at services( being the universals are non greaseable). Never will by another Kubota, should've learned lesson from the GR2100....

Found a nice lightly used RCK60B23BX deck today, didn't come with the front linkage( no biggie, I'll just have to adjust the one I have for my 54" deck). I ordered a new set of blades for it last night, Predator USA mulching blades, $55.41 on Scamazon. Still have to get it out of my car, looks like the belt has a little chewing on it from some rodent and idler has a little rust. I'll clean it up and sharpen blades tomorrow. I got a piece of metal from my brother in law to use as mount for the fuel filter relocation project. I saw video on Youtube from Biffs, but the 2370 loader mount has an extra bolt that my 1870 doesn't. I'll get some pics when I finish it. I know the 60" deck will be pretty close to front tires, I'll get some pics after I install it...

Got the 60” deck mounted. Only had to adjust front linkage a little, the rear mount stops I adjusted to the same as my 54” deck. The problem? Left side front tire catches deck at full lock when lowered. Solution? Put turf tires back on front and adjusted stop bolt on left side so tire has about 1/2-3/4” clearance at full lock left. Full lock right I have a little more than 1/2” clearance. I just finished mowing. Went from about 1-3/4 hr to 1-1/4 mow time. Didn’t think that extra 6” would save that much time, along with the much less left turn radius. Very happy! :giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
When I got my tractor back from dealer back in July, I noticed on invoice that it listed my tractor as a 2015, not a 2016 like I thought( as I took delivery of it in November 2016)....

Last weekend I put the rear turf tires back on for fall, as the ag tires started making indents in the lawn when mowing, ground not drying out due to more frequent rain. I noticed on the left side the axle seal is looking like it's starting to weep some. Thinking I may just pop it out and but some rtv sealant around lip to see if that buys me some time till next fluid change....

Did some things to/for the BX the past week. I finally bought a ballast box, got a decent one off ebay for less than $300 with free shipping (y) . It was red, so I painted it today. It got the Allis Chalmers gloss orange spray can paint from Ace hardware, it's pretty close to the Kubota orange and dries wayyyy faster than the Majic Kubota orange from Tractor supply. Bought some Kubota stickers to be put on it and a SMV sign for back. I finally got around to doing the fuel filter mod getting rid of dinky fuel filter under tractor. The BX1870 loader bracket mount has different bolt pattern than the 2370. I bought a 6' piece of 1/8" 2-1/2" Aluminum angle. Only needed about a 6" piece, but couldn't find any shorter lengths of it. Custom trimming on the top side. Ended up doing engine oil, filter, and air filter, and the other fuel filter, didn't realize already put over 100 hrs. on it since spring. Then I saw Messicks finally had that 3pt stabilizer arm kit in stock, so I ordered that along with axle seal parts. Got them installed today, I recommend them for anyone with a BX-no more swaying 3pt implements(y).... axle parts will be done next hydraulic oil change....

Ok, after 499.1 hrs and 61 months of ownership, the BX1870 got traded in today for a BX2380. Think I'll start a thread for that one...