Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,051  
Still no 22s in Walmart today 4/12/14 over a year after this thread started. That's quite the temporary shortage.
Down conversion of civilian combat rifles and paranoid panic have combined into a real demand problem. Absent counseling, a massive upgrade in production capability is needed to put everyone at ease. Then demand will subside into sanity and suppliers will suddenly be in trouble.
larry

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,052  
Down conversion of civilian combat rifles and paranoid panic have combined into a real demand problem. Absent counseling, a massive upgrade in production capability is needed to put everyone at ease. Then demand will subside into sanity and suppliers will suddenly be in trouble.
larry

No manufacture is going to invest in millions of dollars of infrastructure to tool up for a temporary shortage. There are some plant expansions being done now, but surely the bean counters have done their homework and are planning for a sustainable increased market. The best way to ease the temporary shortage is to let the price float up until the panic buyers and the scalpers can no longer afford the product, then let normal market forces let it drift down as the supply exceeds the demand.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,053  
Thatll work. If enuf realize the true cause. :confused3:

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,054  
No manufacture is going to invest in millions of dollars of infrastructure to tool up for a temporary shortage. There are some plant expansions being done now, but surely the bean counters have done their homework and are planning for a sustainable increased market. The best way to ease the temporary shortage is to let the price float up until the panic buyers and the scalpers can no longer afford the product, then let normal market forces let it drift down as the supply exceeds the demand.

If you look at gunbot that is what appears to have happened. Appears to be plenty of 22LR available in the $.12 to $.90 per round price ranges. It is the occasional availability at $.04 per round that probably keeps the scalpers in business.

Being shooting season with my kids mowing through my .22 ammo I decided to start watching gunbot and pick up a bulk pack of .22. It is kind of interesting. It seems if Cabelas or Gander Mountain puts up Remington, Federal etc bulk pack ammo at 'normal' prices it is gone literally in minutes. The first time I tried to buy some Gander had put up both Federal bulk and Remington bulk. I had managed to get some in a cart but couldn't check out. Then their website became so swamped it was unusable.... you couldn't purchase _any_ product because their webserver that handles the 'carts' and payments was overloaded. A few hours later their website was working again and what was in my cart was cancelled (product no longer available).

A week or so later some popped up on Cabelas when I happened to be checking and I managed to buy a box (one box per customer per day) and have it shipped to the local store. When my order came in I went to pick it up. They make you sign a paper log sheet that shows your order number etc. it is the same one everyone before you has signed as well. A few entries above mine was a guy picking up 3 separate ship-to-store orders. Made me wonder if he is one of the local .22 scalpers.

Now I am wondering if it has gotten to the point where ammo scalpers are using 'sniping' programs like back in the day on ebay. Set it up with your home address, your work address, maybe your parents and/or in-laws etc etc and you get around the 'one box per customer per day' limit that way.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,055  
Ammunition futures ... a product of the times.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,056  
SCORE!!!

Local (very urban) Atlanta Walmart yesterday, to my complete shock, had 5 50rnd boxes of Winchester 40g JHP .22 WMR!! They only have a limit on any .22LR that may happen to come in, so although I felt very guilty to propagate the shortage, I bought them all. A little over $10 per. Just couldn't help myself.:devil: They also had a good supply of the regular old Winchester white box 115g 9mm 100rnd value packs for the regular price of $26+. Even had a good bit of .380! The dept manager said it was the first 22 WMR they had seen in many, many months. No .22LR, of course.:( I did thank her very much for holding the prices at reasonable levels despite the extended shortage.

- Jay

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,057  
SCORE!!!

Local (very urban) Atlanta Walmart yesterday, to my complete shock, had 5 50rnd boxes of Winchester 40g JHP .22 WMR!! They only have a limit on any .22LR that may happen to come in, so although I felt very guilty to propagate the shortage, I bought them all. A little over $10 per. Just couldn't help myself.:devil: They also had a good supply of the regular old Winchester white box 115g 9mm 100rnd value packs for the regular price of $26+. Even had a good bit of .380! The dept manager said it was the first 22 WMR they had seen in many, many months. No .22LR, of course.:( I did thank her very much for holding the prices at reasonable levels despite the extended shortage.

- Jay

Say 3 Hail Mary's and 2 Our Fathers, and go forth and sin no more my son.:D Get thee behind me Satan!:D

I can only imagine the elation of the drive home with your little bundle of 250 rounds of pure joy!:)

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,058  
Thought this might interest a few reading this thread.
Posted on the Michigan Gun Owners forum in this thread.

Stacked Deep.

This is a no-joke part of a single person's ammo cache.

IMG_0312_zps567118c6.jpg

Stacked Deep.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,059  
Thought this might interest a few reading this thread.
Posted on the Michigan Gun Owners forum in this thread.

Stacked Deep.

This is a no-joke part of a single person's ammo cache.

View attachment 370614

Stacked Deep.

I'm sure he thinks lead is as valuable as gold. Till Mama needs a new refrigerator and he has to sell at a loss because he has all his investment in lead.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #2,060  
YEAH, 94,500 rounds... well that should be 2 or 3 peoples stash. He should share a bit.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.