never liked the ROPS now i have a reason

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #31  
no doubt, error #1 was leaving the limb in the first place. #2 not cutting it off on the several incidents where i hit it but no damage. #3 forgetting about it while cruising thru dragging the box blade.
I promptly fixed all of that on this one and any other limb that i could find. I have declared war on the Ninja trees.
I always hate it when those inanimate objects jump out and grab me.
Several years ago 20 close
Had a John Deere T model 40/ and a friend had retired needing to build a drive with box blade. and since I was traveling into Canada let him use the tractor. The next day after leaving the place received a call from his family that he had used the box blade and turning clockwise had run the rear tire up on a downed tree rolling the tractor. was found when the wife called him for lunch. had fallen under the tractor with the steering wheel on his neck. rescue came and had to lift the tractor to remove the body. Before ROPS and no belt.
ROPS and of course no belt either. Bad time to be traveling. Be careful the ROPS are there for a reason.
ken

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason
Several years ago 20 close
Had a John Deere T model 40/ and a friend had retired needing to build a drive with box blade. and since I was traveling into Canada let him use the tractor. The next day after leaving the place received a call from his family that he had used the box blade and turning clockwise had run the rear tire up on a downed tree rolling the tractor. was found when the wife called him for lunch. had fallen under the tractor with the steering wheel on his neck. rescue came and had to lift the tractor to remove the body. Before ROPS and no belt.
ROPS and of course no belt either. Bad time to be traveling. Be careful the ROPS are there for a reason.
ken
yes the ROPS is there to snag tree limbs and drop them on me, i spent my youth mowing hay in the hills of East Texas, nothing will make your @$$ pucker better than going over the crest of a steep hill driving on a pile of cut grass with a sickle running in part of your exit path.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #33  
I had a large, dead limb fall off one of my pine trees the other day. You could hear it falling thru the other limbs and the big "thud" when it hit the ground. It was seven inches in diameter on the broken end. Around 15 to 20 feet long.

Fortunately - all dead limbs will, normally, fall thru and within the foliage of the tree. This is an area where I can't go with the M6040 - it's just too tight. AND - I have no reason to be there anyhow.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #34  
I was running a heavy 3-point plug aerator on a big side slope this evening, and thought of this thread. So, I put up the ROPS and put on my seatbelt. Then a half hour later, forgetting about the ROPS, I went under a big maple tree and caught the damn thing on a branch... which then whacked me in the head.

Didn't take long to reaffirm my stance that they're more dangerous than not having one, at least here on this property. It got folded back down, where it will stay.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #35  
ROPS really should have a warning sticker on them:
CAUTION - Risk of concussion while changing implements under folded ROPS.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #36  
ROPS really should have a warning sticker on them:
CAUTION - Risk of concussion while changing implements under folded ROPS.
When I got my 3033R, I did that head bang thing a few times, before realizing their was a "half-cocked" position into which I could lock the ROPS, which kept it just above head-knocking height.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #37  
When I got my 3033R, I did that head bang thing a few times, before realizing their was a "half-cocked" position into which I could lock the ROPS, which kept it just above head-knocking height.
True, and they make a lot less noise from bouncing around when locked into that position too.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #38  
Was REAL glad to have the ROPS and seatbelt this afternoon! Photo taken just after I started to winch it up. Massey Ferguson GC 1723E.

Attachments

• IMG_5428.JPG
    IMG_5428.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
   / never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #39  
Well, disabling the ROP system and omitting the use of a seat belt, provides the operator with an opportunity to remove themselves from the gene pool. However, as Americans, we currently retain the sovereign right to do so. Cheers

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #40  
I have to trim limbs back almost yearly around the levee of my duckhole.
Any damage to my tractors and cab/top from limbs is on me.
Trim up or drive around?