Never believe it

/ Never believe it #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
"Hey, can you take a few trees down" Can't tell you how many times I've heard that phrase during my former career. "A few" can mean anything from 3 to 300 trees depending on who one is talking to.

So my brother in-law makes the same statement to me. I go over there to scope it out. You can see by the pics what my bils idea of a "few" is. The pile on the right was skidded from about 15 arcres of selective cutting. The pile on the left came from my bil's lot perimeter of 100'x200'. One and a half loads for the triple tandem.

Attachments

• P4174174.JPG
    P4174174.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 437
  • P4184176.JPG
    P4184176.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 366
   / Never believe it #2  
You better watch it when ask to loan him a few dollars.

/ Never believe it
You better watch it when ask to loan him a few dollars.

You're not kidding. This used to irk the owner of the logging company I worked for to no end. He believed that people were trying to get a lower price over the phone when they stated they had a "few trees" to take down. Almost invariably it would require the use of a logging truck to haul the wood out.
My own bil stated he had a "few" trees and if I brought the tractor, it would only be a couple hours work. That was 4 days ago because when people have access to a tractor, they have enough jobs for it to kind of "marry" it. Now I'm taking the tops to the chipper with the front end forks and it's the farthest it's been away from home (20 miles).
I haven't slept right in 4 days as "Sally" is sleeping out in the open.

/ Never believe it #4  
Morale of story: listen but never believe what a lay person tells you. Come over without the tractor and make your own evaluation. Then if it looks bad, mention that your injection pump needs to be rebuilt or some such think.

/ Never believe it
Morale of story: listen but never believe what a lay person tells you. Come over without the tractor and make your own evaluation. Then if it looks bad, mention that your injection pump needs to be rebuilt or some such think.

Perhaps he meant "machine" hours. From when I got there to this morning, it's put on "4 hrs". I wish my body would coincide.

/ Never believe it #6  
Perhaps he meant "machine" hours. From when I got there to this morning, it's put on "4 hrs". I wish my body would coincide.

It is just that people that want your help always minimize the task to be done. For instance if they want you to bring your pickup truck to help them move and you ask how many loads, they will say maybe 2. Always multiply any such estimates by a factor of 10. You will be closer to the truth.