Neighbours Poulan Won't Run?

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
My neighbour has a Poulan Black Hawk Bh 2660 42c.c., 18" chain saw. It starts ok, will idle, then when you start cutting it will die. I haven't tried it yet, but anything I should look at? He said the air filter is clean, new spark plug and the oil gas mixture is 40:1 the same as he said he's always used. I have no experience with this brand.
I'd like to try and help him, as they are kinda low on funds.

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #3  
What I would try is;
1)Filter in tank dirty. >> Remove and gently blow it out in the reverse direction.
2)Dirt in carb. >> Open high speed jet a turn and see if you can get it to pass.
It does sound like the high speed circuit of the carb is dirty. May need to remove it and clean or perhaps remove high speed needle and blow it out through there.

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #4  
I would dump ALL the gas into a clear container and check it for water. One tiny little bead of water wil stop up the jets in an engine.
I have found the fuel hose torn in the fuel tank on some Stihl saws making them run weird. The filter/pick up is heavy so it stays in the bottom of the tank in all positions. Also ethanol mix hurts fuel lines.

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run?
Well I think I got it. After I managed to fish the in-tank fuel filter out the filler hole, I removed it. It looked clean, but I couldn't blow through it. It appears to be all hardened up. So I hooked a hose from it to my air compressor and blew until it got some flow. Then I flushed the tank and put some fresh fuel in. Put the filter back in (to try until he gets a new one) and it started first pull. I went out and did some cutting and could not get it to die. So I'll leave it at that. I don't want to start playing with the carb if it is running good. So I'll leave it unless he has further problems.

Thanks again.

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #6  
I never had that happen with my Poulan chainsaws, but I have a Mantis tiller that has the fuel filter on a little tube inside the fuel tank, and I have to pull it out and blow it out regularly. As you said, it appears to harden whether there's gas in the tank or not. However, one quick blast of air has always fixed it. I have a new filter on hand for when I have to use it, but so far the original always works fine after one quick blast of air.

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #8  
Hey, I got one and it runs. Now my neighbor's doesn't.

Poulan owners unite!

/ Neighbours Poulan Won't Run? #9  
I got an old green poulin,probably 14 years old that just keeps going,had to buy a bar and chain for it this winter,hated that,about 60 dollars,saw probably ain't worth 30,but its paid for that bar and chain already cutting brush.Hadn't started it for about 2 years untill this fall,[still had old gas in it],decided thats the one I wanted to cut dirt with,so put fresh fuel in it,no start,took air filter off and squirted some carb cleaner in it and a few pulls later she starts.

The air filter on it has to be washed in hot soapy water,[blowing it out won't do it],if you don't do that every now and than it will flood out[no air!].

But its one of those things you buy,thats worth more than you paid for it.