Neighbor's cattle in yard

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
I am a township supervisor. We have a complaint from a resident whose yard keeps getting messed up by cattle from the beef farm across the road. We're not talking about a large farmer, about 20 beef cows and their calves. I've checked his fences and from what I can see without going on his property, they are very good meeting fence guidelines. That the cattle get out is no question. The resident complaining has called the county sheriff about it. The deputy who visited agreed, cattle from the neighbor, but there is nothing the sheriff's department can do about it. A little more about this farmer - he is in his upper 50s and lost his main job as an equipment operator due to a DUI. Last planting season, I was driving down the county road past his place and saw him lying in the middle of the road arms and legs flailing. His tractor was in the ditch alongside. I stopped to go help and he told me he was okay, go on. He had a 12 pack of beer in one had and a single can in the other, had fallen off the tractor which stalled in the ditch, and was trying to get up. Needless to say he has a bad drinking problem. My suspicion is he forgets to close gates when he feeds his cattle. The cattle go out across the road where although mid-winter, we still have no snow and the standing second crop is much better than the hay this cattleman is trying to feed them. Has anyone run into something like this before? The home owner (who also owns the hayfields around her house) has talked to the owners wife several times and has been told that that's the way it is. Does anybody have any suggestions?

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #3  
It sounds like the complainer needs better fences ?
I know it should not be her responsibility but some strong barbed wire fencing might be the best defence.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #4  
It sounds like the complainer needs better fences ?
I know it should not be her responsibility but some strong barbed wire fencing might be the best defence.

You shouldn’t have to spend money to keep someone else’s livestock off your land. Fencing isn’t cheap either. You could easily be proposing a 5 figure suggestion. Not to mention that the cows could get hit on the road and cause an accident. If it was dogs running loose the suggestion would probably be a small dose of lead poisoning.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #5  
One shouldn't need to fence their land to prevent cattle trespassing if it is not open range territory.
Had an uncle (RIP) who was having problems with a big loose Texas Longhorn. The was in NE Mississippi about 2016. Got about 900lbs of meat from it.
SHB
Shoot, haul, barbecue

Last edited:
   / Neighbor's cattle in yard #6  
I live in a "Fence-Out" county... as strange as it sounds, If I don't want cattle on my land, I need to fix his fence. Which I have done and need to expand the repairs further down his fence line.

I have warned him that next time, I'm buying a larger freezer.

Last edited:
   / Neighbor's cattle in yard #7  
You shouldn’t have to spend money to keep someone else’s livestock off your land.

Depends on where you live. Here in Nevada the law states that if you want to keep livestock off your property then YOU need to put up a fence. One of the first things I had to do when I bought my place because I had cattle all around. Other people have problems with the "wild" horses:
Mustangs in Dayton.jpg

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #8  
a good old lasso if its on your propriety its yours lol .... once he lose his cows he might smart up.

Last edited:
   / Neighbor's cattle in yard #9  
Cows will get out no matter how good the fences are. I get them occasionally in my back yard from the neighbor, I just text them their cows are out, or I try to chase them in if I can by my self.

/ Neighbor's cattle in yard #10  
Is there an animal nuisance regulation in your township our county? If not then it's likely going to be a civil matter between the two land owners. Not sure who would be in the right if the offended parter called some other local cowhand to come get cows off their property.