needle scalers

/ needle scalers #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
At a place I used to work, the guys would use these for cleaning mortar off of equipment. I had to use them once in a while and they worked pretty well. I have been thinking lately that it might be nice to use one for weld slag and rust removal. The one's I am used to are a pistol grip style, but looking around it seems that most are inline. Has anyone used one for these purposes and how well did it work? Which style do you prefer?

/ needle scalers #2  
I have an in-line from Harbor Freight. I've only used it twice, but both times it worked well.

/ needle scalers #3  
I've used the inline type for removing rust with good success.:)

Twenty dollars at Princess Auto.

/ needle scalers #4  
I have been thinking lately that it might be nice to use one for weld slag and rust removal.

Never actually "used" one, but when I was repairing air tools, I repaired some and they belonged to mechanics who used them just as you say you want to.

/ needle scalers #5  
Mike my thoughts on using the scaler for slag removal are this: While I am sure it will work fine, I would think it would be a lot slower than just using a wire wheel in your angle grinder. The wire wheel does a great job and is very quick.

James K0UA

/ needle scalers #6  
The needle scaler is great when the crud is thick and chunky. It has the added benefit of providing a fast way to peen weld seems if you need to stress relieve them. I bought one from northern tool - just a cheap NT brand and find it works great.

/ needle scalers #7  
At a place I used to work, the guys would use these for cleaning mortar off of equipment. I had to use them once in a while and they worked pretty well. I have been thinking lately that it might be nice to use one for weld slag and rust removal. The one's I am used to are a pistol grip style, but looking around it seems that most are inline. Has anyone used one for these purposes and how well did it work? Which style do you prefer?
Yes they are great for things like that. Particularly good in the welding department because as they clean they peen. That strain relieves and also leaves the surface in compression because the peening "stretches" it while surrounding metal holds it confined. This condition inhibits crack formation. After the sharp edges wear off the needle tips [from cleaning mortar and rust:D] is when they are best.
,,,There is/were accessory needle attachments for air hammers. This is good because its usually the driver that fails and air hammers are cheap to replace. Anybody found a good supplier lately?
larry

/ needle scalers #8  
Brings back bad memories... a hundred needle guns working 24/7 on Navy ships... I can't sleep!

mark

/ needle scalers #9  
I use mine (inline style) to remove slag from corner welds that can't be reached with a wire wheel on a grinder. It does a good job and there are no consumables to buy, wire wheels are getting spendy, plus it does peen the weld. It also works good for removing dried on grass build up under my mower deck. Handy tool for me I'd say get one.

/ needle scalers #10  
Yes they are great for things like that. Particularly good in the welding department because as they clean they peen. That strain relieves and also leaves the surface in compression because the peening "stretches" it while surrounding metal holds it confined. This condition inhibits crack formation. After the sharp edges wear off the needle tips [from cleaning mortar and rust:D] is when they are best.
,,,There is/were accessory needle attachments for air hammers. This is good because its usually the driver that fails and air hammers are cheap to replace. Anybody found a good supplier lately?
larry

Learned something today!

James K0UA