Need to upgrade headlights on Cub 3204

/ Need to upgrade headlights on Cub 3204 #1  

ducati996

Banned
Tractor
jd4100, Cub Cadet 3204 & Cub 125
Im looking to improve on the output (or upgrade) of my Cub Cadets 3204 headlights. Currently they use a standard 1156 automotive bulb (tail light, accessory bulb, etc) they really dont illuminate as much as I would hope for. What bulb would be compatible with an 1156 automotive bulb? Halogen equivalent? Since these are incandescence bulbs, the requirements for nighttime operation are making me address this shortcoming. Its probably the same setup for the 2000 series as well.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciative,

Ducati996

/ Need to upgrade headlights on Cub 3204 #2  
Me again! We must be the only 2 people with 3000 series cubs.
My cub has halogen bulbs. They are marked 881 12.8V 27W. They are a right angle plastic base bulb that presses into the reflector and makes a 1/4 turn to lock. The harness then snaps onto the bulb.
I have been impressed with the lights. I never looked to see what I had till you asked the question. Knowing you want good lights for snow blowing, the blower blocks some of the light in the transport position but I can see OK with the blower down. My line of sight and the lights lit path are about the same distance in front of the blower.
You might check with your cub dealer about this light setup. You would need a different reflector and bulb connectors than the 1156's. Also, if you have an established automotive supply store, check for a higher wattage bulb with the 1156's base. You will need an experienced counterman with a full catalog that lists all information about the bulbs. Many catalogs just list applications, don't even list the cub, as that is all the modern counterman (clerk) can handle. Make sure you don't exceed the output of your alternator. You have other electrical needs and still need to recharge your battery.

/ Need to upgrade headlights on Cub 3204
CGS,

Thank you for your input again !! Its for snowblowing for sure, and the little 1156 just dont do enough. You have the larger 3235 or 3225 so it probably has the front (halogens) and a rear tailight ( I wish I had one on my 3204)
I know when I'm in the street I could use a rear taillight, which i can add later. Besides the little things that Im changing, I'm curious on the dimensions of your tires. You should have 24 x 10.5 x 12. I dont think you stock tire is 24" diameter however from Cub. With chains, how much room is left?
I have another post on this tire subject, which overall is working out fine and only really effects the 3204 series. But be careful if you need non-cub tires...

Thanks again for the info...I'm very happy with the Cub regardless. the small changes really arent adding up to much $$, so there is no reason why Cub couldnt offer it...

Just an update regarding 1156 Bulbs I found at AutoZone from somebodys suggestion. I found 50w Incadesent 1156 bulbs by Blazer..
They appear to work much better than the PIAA superwhites. So far no damage, and heat is thus far not a problem..my guess is they draw 4.1 amps per bulb. I think the Kohler is 20amp, so I should be ok Correct?

Now the rear tail light /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif anybody recomend where to tap in to for swiched power prefered near the tail end if possible? I think I have found a sealed lense that will fit
on the storage compartment between the seat and rear fender.

Ducati996 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Need to upgrade headlights on Cub 3204 #5  
your math on the amps is correct, but you have to hope the wire is heavy enough to carry that amperage when left on a longer time. Don't have my 3235 yet, so can't help with much more specifics. If the 3235 has 27 watt halogens as previous post says, you might be pushing it.

adsingl,

The 3235 uses the 27 watt 1156 bulbs as well I'm affraid. They switched back to these from using halogens, and use the 1156 socket now. There is a wagner 1156 halogen 27 watt bulb available (#794-#796 in that area part number-not exactly sure) if i get arounf to locating them I will try them as well. Currently the 1156 50 watt incadescents work very well and no melted wires, they only cost $1.98 each, but really throw out a lot of light compared to 27 watt anything...Autozone is the only source i found them...Blazer is the mfg...

Good luck with you machine

Duc