Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
My 1994 Husqvarna 42 inch riding mower is on its last legs..........the deck has been spot welded, riveted and repaired so many times I have very little original metal to work with especcailly around the chute where now it looks like I no longer can attach the chute , and besides the mulching cover lets so much thru the sides already and cut is uneven with consistent stripe down middle . Engine is a 15hp it still chugs away, and I replaced one of the blade mandrels last year. But I figure it is time to start looking for a new one.

I see now that 15 hp is considered small, but I can't understand why one would need more than that. I read enough on TBN to see that the Big box stores shouldbe avoided if I want service.

Is is silly to think that buying another Husqvarna new would have any interchangeable parts from my 1993 model that I would then save for parts scavenging.
Or should I resign myself to finding a new $1500 (hopefully) that will last 15 years ?

I have a John Deere /Kubota dealer close by I respect, and a Husqvarna dealer not far that I have bought parts from , but I am tempted to see what Sears (Craftsman) or Canadian Tire (Troybuilt I think) has........what other thoughts.

I could also just add a mower option to my Kubota BX2660 tractor but I don't like the idea of driving that size of tractor on my septic bed. So suspect riding mower best option.
All in all I mow roughly 2 acres of lawn every week or two for four months a year.

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #2  
If your septic is installed properly, you should have no problem going over it with your BX. Your cheapest option definitely is getting a mower for it, maybe used if you find one around.

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #3  
A couple of years ago, I researched mowers for quite a while. I settled on a Cub Cadet 46 inch.

this is the current version:

Cub Cadet® Signature Cut™ 46 in. 20 HP* LTX1045 Lawn Tractor - Tractor Supply Co.

When I got mine it had a 2 cyl kohler.

It's got about 26 hours on it and it's a great machine. The Kohler engine is smooth and dependable. THe HST works smoothly.

Overall it seemed more heavily built than the Deere.

I have no regrets at all.

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #4  
I disagree as far as the tank itself as the cement is not very thick and can crack easily , I know as mine is cracked on top now from just riding a regular 16 hp mower over it . I did pull a lawn roller over it so maybe the combination of the two caused my problem . The leach field itself would more than likely stand up just fine with the BX . You mow a fair amount of lawn so if you had something to just trim on top your tank I would opt for the bx mower opt. also , providing you could leave it on your tractor all summer without having to keep taking it off and put back on again .

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #5  
If your septic is installed properly, you should have no problem going over it with your BX. Your cheapest option definitely is getting a mower for it, maybe used if you find one around.

I drive my Ferguson with FEL and BH over my septic tank with no issues, and it's total weight is nearly 5,ooo lbs.

When I had the house built and septic installed, it was regularly being driven over with construction equipment.

I disagree as far as the tank itself as the cement is not very thick and can crack easily , I know as mine is cracked on top now from just riding a regular 16 hp mower over it .

If yours broke that easily, you either have a very shabbily constructed unit or it was damaged before you got to it.

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #6  
I disagree as far as the tank itself as the cement is not very thick and can crack easily , I know as mine is cracked on top now from just riding a regular 16 hp mower over it . I did pull a lawn roller over it so maybe the combination of the two caused my problem . The leach field itself would more than likely stand up just fine with the BX . You mow a fair amount of lawn so if you had something to just trim on top your tank I would opt for the bx mower opt. also , providing you could leave it on your tractor all summer without having to keep taking it off and put back on again .

Get the Kubota BX 25D then if you crack the tank you can just dig it up. Seriosly though I never even though about cracking the tank. I drive my 25D over it all the time. How do you know it's cracked?

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #7  
A BX should never hurt a septic tank. I have rental property and I have driven my Kubota L2900 over all of my septic tanks with no problems ever. I don't do it just for fun but have done it many times cleaning up and doing other jobs.

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor
my tank will not be drove over but the leach field 25x 50 installed in 1993 where the pipes might only be 30 centimeters (12 inches ) below the ground. IT is sand with a bit of topsoil, the grass grows well there ,

Interesting thoughts though, because I would prefer to just buy attachment for my bx ..........any thoughts on driving on the pvc pipes 12 inches below ???

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor #9  
Wawajake,

Prior to buying my tractor I had done some calculations figuring that the pvc safely can take 100psi of pressure 12" under ground. so figure the area of contact for both the front and back tires, add that area and split the weight of your machine over the square inch of contact surface, assume that the weight distribution is not 50/50 so give your tractor's psi footprint a 25% margin of error. if you end up under 100psi of footprint your good to go. this is not a scientific or accurate measurement but its quick and easy way to check if your in the clear or not. it all really comes down to a machine weight vs tire contact pressure, you can run a 15000 lbs machine over the field if the tires on it spread the weight enough

Not sure how well I explained this but I hope you get my drift

/ Need to replace my 42 inch lawn tractor
Interesting CDN Beaver .........I figure if I happen to leave FEL and a rear implement, I would not be more than 2400 lbs I figure front tires have surface contact of 20 sq inches each and back conservatively 30 sq inches= total 100 sq inches divided into the 2400 leaves me plenty of margin of error.........maybe I don't need another new lawn tractor maybe I just need a underdeck mower for my Kubota.......I was always was being extra careful about the septic bed , but I can see I was being overly cautious ! thanks