need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake

/ need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake #1  

kydick

Silver Member
Tractor
ford new holland
looking for info on replacing rear brake shoes on 2008 suzuki 400 atv 4x4. been looking on u-tube for some videos. i have got the wheel off but cant pull the brake drum off or get the hub to come out.do i have to use some kind of puller.

/ need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake #2  
I used to have a Suzuki 300. Rear drum was enclosed so the housing had to come apart, hub had to come off spines to remove cover, then drum could come off after getting it to clear the shoes.

Very time consuming job as everything is usually seized. I had to use lots of penetrating oil and prybars & hammers.

300 was IRS, I think 400 is solid axle, but brake set up might be similar. No special tools needed for me. Just lots of patience and physical effort.

/ need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake
thanks Farmer495 think there is some kind of built up inside the drum that wont let it slide out. there is nothing stuck to the axle splines because it slides about a inch back and forth easily in the housing and the hub turns pretty easily also. going to try and make me a puller and bolt it to the hub stud bolts and pull the hub and cover off at the same time. hope it works. my 400 has the solid axle

/ need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake #4  
thanks Farmer495 think there is some kind of built up inside the drum that wont let it slide out. there is nothing stuck to the axle splines because it slides about a inch back and forth easily in the housing and the hub turns pretty easily also. going to try and make me a puller and bolt it to the hub stud bolts and pull the hub and cover off at the same time. hope it works. my 400 has the solid axle

Good luck, take any puller slow and easy. You might also find the drum as worn internally that the shoes are holding it even when fully released.

/ need to remove brake drum so i can replace the rear brake #5  
Good luck, take any puller slow and easy. You might also find the drum as worn internally that the shoes are holding it even when fully released.
Or that 1/8 inch thick rust ring around the outer edge of the drum.