Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Anyone have recent experience with them?

I know she wants one with the head and foot and the height of the bed, all adjustable with a remote.

We’ve tried 2 lift chairs and the 2nd one will be returned. They just aren’t comfortable enough and I believe she would benefit by sleeping with her feet higher than her heart.

She’s been sleeping (living) in a recliner for the last year and a half. She’s got osteoporosis pretty bad and has fractured her her back four times in the last 3 1/2 years. The last time we figured it happened while in bed so that started the recliner journey.

I’ve done some reading online, but mostly testimonials that smell like ads.

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #2  
Is she on Medicare? And much better if on Original Medicare rather than an Advantage plan. If so, talk with her doctor. If he feels it is Medically Necessary to prevent more damage, Medicare has DME (Durable Medical Equipment) benefits for something like that. And if you go that route, then you will order from an Medicare Contracted Supplier and will get a quality medical product, not a consumer marketing device. Larry

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom
Is she on Medicare? If so, talk with her doctor. If he feels it is Medically Necessary to prevent more damage, Medicare has benefits for something like that. Larry

Medicare takes to long and only pays for the cheaper models.

She can afford it, thankfully.

She’s pretty miserable lately, so much so that she’s going to try and use a bed again.

This time it will be a twin size so she can’t roll over.

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #4  
That is good news. I am glad she can afford it and can hopefully find a solution. I think I would talk with a DME supplier company. You probably know that Medicare published their list. There are many med suppliers online. I may start by looking online at Apria Home Medical Equipment. I don't know anything about them, but they seem to be everywhere. A medical supplier will sell to anyone who is willing to pay. They usually look for a prescription because of ins. payments (and that is the first question they will ask you probably). But if she pays, they should be able to tell her what they have or can get. There are SO many versions of med beds for different illnesses. Good Luck, Larry

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #5  
After my dad had his hip replaced, I decided he needed a hospital type bed. I asked a nurse at the care center, where he was receiving rehab, if they had anything used for sale. They said they had some in storage they might be able to sell to me. I talked to the guy in maintenance and he told me to take my truck to the rear loading dock. He and I loaded a used electric bed from storage. He said there was no charge as they would eventually go to scrap. I gave him $20 for his time and kindness. When it was time to sell the bed, I offered it on Craigslist for $100. The 1st person to show up for it, got it for no charge just as I did.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
edit: I didn’t see your later posts. I had incorrectly assumed that high cost was a concern.

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #6  

She’s pretty miserable lately, so much so that she’s going to try and use a bed again.

After my dad was unable to get out of bed on his own anymore, his nurse brought him a special air mattress, with its own compressor and electronic controller. The mattress had many different compartments that would inflate and deflate at different air pressures and time intervals so that a continuous position wouldn’t become too uncomfortable or cause bed sores. I thought it was great! They just billed it to his insurance.

Last edited:
   / Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #7  
Medicare would approve one for my 89 year old father. The medical supplier said we could pay the difference for the better one.

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #8  
After my 2 brain surgeries, I slept in my Zero Gravity Lawn Chair for a month each time. Very comfortable and supportive.

/ Need to purchase a hospital bed for mom #9  

Th

Greetings Doofy,
While I cannot recommend a specific bed I can maybe help with a type. About 20 years ago I got all crunched up and ended up at home with a broken pelvis, crushed wrists, and all sorts of pins coming out of bones connected to external fixators. So when I went home from the hospital I needed help and security.
The bed at home was a twin sized electric hospital bed with remote controlled head and foot raising functions. The bed also had sides that could be raised.
The narrow bed and the sides that could be raised gave me much comfort. I worried about rolling out of the bed in my sleep because I could not catch myself with my arms. And my broken pelvis could probably not, until healed, sustain another significant impact without me being paralyzed. So I would strongly suggest a twin with sides that can be raised and with remote controlled by the patient head and foot raising functions. The security of the raised sides combined with the freedom and convenience of the patient controllable remote control bed should make the person using the bed as happy as possible. It sure did for me.
Eric