Need to lock something up

/ Need to lock something up #1  

Freds

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & ZD326s
I'd like to pull from the TBN brain trust.
I just bought a quad, but have an open pole barn, so I need a way to lock it up but good. When I'm home I can sandwich it between my porch and vehicle overnight and I thought a heavy duty chain and lock through one of the 4x4 posts would be a good idea when my vehicle isn't there. Three large dogs barking from inside the porch 5 ft away would probably be a good deterent, too. The neighbors are within earshot and line of sight and I've also kicked around getting a motorcycle alarm for it. At least that's my only options right now.

Can someone recommend a chain and lock? I'm assuming large diameter and hardened (possibly even two or three they need to get through) but haven't had to do any shopping around for these items and figured someone here had just the items in mind.

Thanks for your input /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need to lock something up
I'd like to pull from the TBN brain trust.
I just bought a quad, but have an open pole barn, so I need a way to lock it up but good. When I'm home I can sandwich it between my porch and vehicle overnight and I thought a heavy duty chain and lock through one of the 4x4 posts would be a good idea when my vehicle isn't there. Three large dogs barking from inside the porch 5 ft away would probably be a good deterent, too. The neighbors are within earshot and line of sight and I've also kicked around getting a motorcycle alarm for it. At least that's my only options right now.

Can someone recommend a chain and lock? I'm assuming large diameter and hardened (possibly even two or three they need to get through) but haven't had to do any shopping around for these items and figured someone here had just the items in mind.

Thanks for your input /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need to lock something up #3  
If you chain it to the post, can they cut the post? Grade 70 chain small enough to go thru the front and back wheels and then around the post might help. There is also an anchor that you can permanently mount to a concrete floor that you could chain it too that might work better ( I have seen these in HD dealerships, but I think Ancra makes them). Better yet chain it to one of those 5 dogs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the ATV is visible from the highway - I would also cover it with a tarp -

Kryptonite makes some motorcycle/atv specific locks if you want to get fancy -

/ Need to lock something up #4  
If you chain it to the post, can they cut the post? Grade 70 chain small enough to go thru the front and back wheels and then around the post might help. There is also an anchor that you can permanently mount to a concrete floor that you could chain it too that might work better ( I have seen these in HD dealerships, but I think Ancra makes them). Better yet chain it to one of those 5 dogs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the ATV is visible from the highway - I would also cover it with a tarp -

Kryptonite makes some motorcycle/atv specific locks if you want to get fancy -

/ Need to lock something up #5  
Whenever I have something I really want to lock up I go to the local locksmith's shop and tell them what I'm trying to do. They generally have good recommendations on how to solve the problem as well as the right product. Not cheap, but hopefully they don't get much repeat business from you.

/ Need to lock something up #6  
Whenever I have something I really want to lock up I go to the local locksmith's shop and tell them what I'm trying to do. They generally have good recommendations on how to solve the problem as well as the right product. Not cheap, but hopefully they don't get much repeat business from you.

/ Need to lock something up #7  
A thief will be able to get anything he wants. Your securing devices will only slow them down. If using a chain I'd get a large diameter one they can't cut with bolt cutters and a padlock sized to the chain. How about a locking boot that clamps around a wheel, they'd need a torch to get it off. Out of sight, out of mind will help if its covered too. The more security devices you use, the more time they have to spend defeating them, thus more chance of being spotted by a neighbor. The locksmith (as mentioned) may offer solutions also.

/ Need to lock something up #8  
A thief will be able to get anything he wants. Your securing devices will only slow them down. If using a chain I'd get a large diameter one they can't cut with bolt cutters and a padlock sized to the chain. How about a locking boot that clamps around a wheel, they'd need a torch to get it off. Out of sight, out of mind will help if its covered too. The more security devices you use, the more time they have to spend defeating them, thus more chance of being spotted by a neighbor. The locksmith (as mentioned) may offer solutions also.

/ Need to lock something up #9  
Locks and chains only keep honest people away.

Dogs are great. Just be sure they are mean enough and don't like meat.

The best thing you can do is lock it up and hide it with a good tarp. Out of sight out of mind.

Take a wheel off when you leave to prevent the joyrider from wanting it.

/ Need to lock something up #10  
Locks and chains only keep honest people away.

Dogs are great. Just be sure they are mean enough and don't like meat.

The best thing you can do is lock it up and hide it with a good tarp. Out of sight out of mind.

Take a wheel off when you leave to prevent the joyrider from wanting it.