Need to bleed fuel line?

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
If you run a DK45 out of fuel, do the fuel lines need to be bled before it will start? The owner's manual seems to imply that refueling is all that's needed, but the wording is a bit ambiguous in the two places I could find where running out of fuel is mentioned.
Bob

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #2  
Don't know about DK45 exactly, but for sure you want all air between the tank and injector pump gone.
You can always crack that last fitting B4 the pump and leave it open until it leaks fuel out thus being sure the lines are purged of any air.
Injector pump just can not handle any air.

On the other hand try a restart and possibly it will burp, cough and fire up.

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #3  
If you run a DK45 out of fuel, do the fuel lines need to be bled before it will start? The owner's manual seems to imply that refueling is all that's needed, but the wording is a bit ambiguous in the two places I could find where running out of fuel is mentioned.
Bob

You should have a manual primer pump that is operated by hand and an air bleed thumb screw if your DK is like my NX series. If there isn't a hand pump, you get to bump over the starter while bleeding the air out. Look for a lever with an on/run and an air/prime and set it to air/prime or thumb screw that has a bleed function when the engine cranks. Don't start the engine until you get fuel out of the bleeding screw and then close that lever (set to on/run) or screw the thumb screw back in.

/ Need to bleed fuel line?
Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently, my fuel guage has become a liar and claims over 1/2 tank even when empty.

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #5  
Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently, my fuel guage has become a liar and claims over 1/2 tank even when empty.

A problem with the sending unit most likely. If you have time and an ohm meter, pull the sending unit and sweep it through its range looking for an open.

Thanks, Eric. I'll need to get that fixed, since I use it to tell me when to fill up.
Sadly, it looks like the problem is the injector pump itself. Apparently, this is a pretty expensive part to replace, so some sort of rebuilding may be in order.
Bob

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #7  
Thanks, Eric. I'll need to get that fixed, since I use it to tell me when to fill up. Sadly, it looks like the problem is the injector pump itself. Apparently, this is a pretty expensive part to replace, so some sort of rebuilding may be in order. Bob

I'm on my iPhone right now so I'll be brief. Are you sure the injector pump shelled when it ran out of fuel, or does the injector system simply need to be bled? In other words, have you confirmed you have fuel through the injector pump and lines to the injectors themselves?

Loosening the nut/valve(?) in the fuel line (just before the injector body) gushes fuel when the key is turned. My mechanic came out and removed a plug from the back side of the injector and inserted a small screwdriver to (do something) that allowed it to start. However, any adjustment of the throttle caused it to die; ie, I could set the manual throttle at a constant rpm of 1500 or 2000 and it would keep going, but couldn't change the setting without it dying. Purportedly, this has something to do with a governor (but I am mechanically inept, so haven't a clue). I managed to go in mid-1 back to the house and it only died once on the way there (requiring the screwdriver trick again to get it going).
It doesn't look good for the injector pump, though.

Bob

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #9  
What year is the tractor? Screwdriver in IP makes me think the usual IP problem with the jammed gears.

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #10  
What year is the tractor? Screwdriver in IP makes me think the usual IP problem with the jammed gears.

Tony may be right. Bob: It might help if you give an account of all that preceded this problem. Do you know that it really ran out of fuel or is that an assumption? The IP is costly (new) but not too hard to replace. If an IP gear broke, there are economical rebuild options. Replacing the governor is a harder job but I never heard of any of these failing. Check the sticky at the top of this section (and the link) for a list of IP issues and fixes.