Need some info

/ Need some info #1  

Unclelevi

Tractor
JD X540, JD 1250
I'm thinking of storing #2 diesel for my JD 1250 in a 55 gallon drum( I have a barrel pump). The questions are these : Will I need to use #1 diesel in the winter ( Minnesota ) and If I use a second barrel for #1 do I need to worry about the not-full #2 barrel ( because I didn't use it all in the summer) collecting moisture ?

/ Need some info #2  
I'm thinking of storing #2 diesel for my JD 1250 in a 55 gallon drum (I have a barrel pump). The questions are these : Will I need to use #1 diesel in the winter ( Minnesota ) and If I use a second barrel for #1 do I need to worry about the not-full #2 barrel ( because I didn't use it all in the summer) collecting moisture ?
You ask wise questions.

When you buy off-road diesel for AG, and it's a bunch, be sure it's coming from a fresh source. If not, the microbes in the unfrequently used holding tanks at the stations or distribution centers can go bad much sooner causing expensive downtime.

I too store diesel due to keeping the price low and buying when the prices are best. Plastic tanks don't rust, don't dent, and attract condensation like metal tanks do. HDPE is the ideal plastic tank material in use for fuels.

I have both 15-gallon and 30-gallon tanks. Easy to move, and easy to fill/dispense. Easy to put in the back of the truck to fill too.

My location is in the bottom of zone-5, you are more in the center of zone-5. Beloit, WI gets down to -22F. Your location could see the -40F in the hardest part of winter. I use diesel #2 all year.

For the diesel #2 in storage, 30-gallon tank is treated with 1-bottle of Seafoam. It's far better than the PS junk sold everywhere. Never had any issues with microbes or diesel going bad. Plus Seafoam keeps the injectors nice and clean. This works far better than Stabil.

Your JD1250 is really a Yanmar YM5000, yet in JD green paint. Made in the same factory and assembly line as my YM2610.

Seafoam's original use is for diesel engines and fuel.

Seafoam-tractor.jpg

/ Need some info #3  
My opinion and real time use differs from yours but I'm not getting into it on here because if the OP does a site search, there are literally dozens of threads about fuel and storage and all things related to it...

/ Need some info #4  
My opinion and real time use differs from yours but I'm not getting into it on here because if the OP does a site search, there are literally dozens of threads about fuel and storage and all things related to it...
Yes, so many ways to store fuel and what not. The OP mentioned about 55-gallons. So it's close to my storage needs.

I don't buy diesel whole-sale as my CUT sips fuel doing a few acres of gardening. For someone in a large scale operations with several 40 acres, it's whole different story. Plus, I bet they have more than 1 machine.

There are all kinds of tanks, pumps, and dispensing devices out there too. For the small farms and homesteads, we often look for solutions on the smaller part of the operating scale.

There is a thread you and I were involved in a few months ago taking about what tanks or containers to store fuel in. It got so broad in scope, yet I too learned how small to big has huge differences.

/ Need some info #5  
Oil and fuel threads are always about what a poster does and likes personally and what I do and what you do are probably polar opposite. Candidly, I do use Seafoam but not as a fuel additive. I use it as a carbon remover in my Ford Focus RS Turbo to remove the carbon buildup in the intake tract as it's a GDI engine with a dry intake tract so the intake valves over time will build up a carbon deposit and that impacts performance and fuel mileage.

Touching on fuel storage just a tad, I use Powerservice Biocide in my bulk fuel (500 gallon) storage tank and really nothing else of substance unless it's bitter cold out and then I may or may not use an anti-gel additive in my tractor if, I intend to use them in the winter, which, as a rule I don't. Most times they sleep all winter anyway.

I do run fuel polishing units on all my diesels and have for a while now. The fuel polishing units (Racor) remove any and all contaminant from the fuel, including water and any junk that may get in the fuel tanks and since I have installed them (2 years ago), I have yet had to change the primary engine mounted fuel filters or have anything collect in the see through fuel bowls (engine mounted again) on my Kubota's or my Ford diesel pickup truck. I consider them a very worthwhile investment and of note, Kubota is installing fuel polishing units on their T4 final, common rail engines now.

While primarily designed for commercial marine application, they work just fine in other applications as well and you can buy spin on filter elements in any micron pass you want. I run 2 micron pass on mine. Standard fuel filters are usually 10-50 micron pass as a rule.

/ Need some info #6  
When I lived in Wiscinsin I had a 275 gallon tank in
the garage only used the white bottle PS. and only used
approx 10 to 15 gal a week VW got low 50's for mpg

willy

/ Need some info #7  
When I farmed in central minnesota we used a 50/50 mix of #2 & #1 diesel in the chore tractor that was run a few times a week. Never had fuel gelling problems but I do believe quality of fuel is lower today than it was 40 - 50 years ago. We had 1,000 gallon tank for #2 diesel and 250 gallon for #1.

/ Need some info #8  
I would imagine that ULSD treated with a biocide would last about forever, not that I can find out however. I have to fill my 500 gallon tank about once a year.

/ Need some info #9  
Doesn't sound like you don't use lots of fuel.
Why not keep it simple and bring home the #1/kerosene home in 5 gallon cans.
Add it to the fuel from your barrel when you refuel.
Blend 30-40% #1 and add your favorite anti-gel additive.
This will keep your barrel use quicker,if you're worried about the storage downside.
I use plastic and steel drums for storage and don't worry about turnover.
Good Luck!

/ Need some info #10  
IMHO add the treatment to keep from jelling and
fill up both drums with diesel then use it when needed.
I had 275 gallon fuel tank in my garage in Fond du Lac
Wisconsin and the temps got down to 35 degree's below freezing no heat in garage and never had any problems just treated the fuel and forgot about it. Also I never added any fuel to the tank as it lasted me 2 years with 2 winters and no problem

willy