Need some help with the weeds

/ Need some help with the weeds #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Greetings,

Does anybody have any experience with the BCS cultivator? I see that Earth Tools has one also but too big for my 739. The BCS is a spring tine type so hopefully not too hard to control but I'm a little worried that it doesn't have any guide wheels. Any ideas? The weeds are getting the best of me. Wearing out my hoe.

Thanks.
Nibbana

/ Need some help with the weeds
This is it.
It uses spring tines which I assume flex enough so the cultivator isn't going to steer the tractor. That's what I'm worried about. if I'm cultivating close next to crops, I don't want the tractor being pushed around by the cultivator.

/ Need some help with the weeds #4  
Weeds and rocks were my enemy in the garden but no longer! Weeds, I mulch everything soon after the ground is prepared in the spring and keep it replenished during the season as needed. Might need to hand pull a few weeds but for the most part weeds are no longer a problem.

Weeds and rocks were my enemy in the garden but no longer! Weeds, I mulch everything soon after the ground is prepared in the spring and keep it replenished during the season as needed. Might need to hand pull a few weeds but for the most part weeds are no longer a problem.
How big is your garden and what are you mulching with?
I put 4 foot wide weed barrier cloth down on each side of my squash a few years ago. 60 foot rows. It worked very good but I had to put heavy logs every 10 feet in order to keep the wind from blowing it away. And rats got under there to hide. I finally had to bring my dog in to kill the rats and she did a lot of destruction in the process.

/ Need some help with the weeds #6  
I'm at 20x50 currently and I will use anything organic for material. The material I have the most of would be grass clippings, I've also used chopped up leaves, chopped straw. I never run out of green growth and if I would I have a few neighbors who wouldn't mind me harvesting some of theirs since they find cutting grass an unpleasant task, also have a farmer friend who gives me large round bales of old hay and straw from time to time.

I'm at 20x50 currently and I will use anything organic for material. The material I have the most of would be grass clippings, I've also used chopped up leaves, chopped straw. I never run out of green growth and if I would I have a few neighbors who wouldn't mind me harvesting some of theirs since they find cutting grass an unpleasant task, also have a farmer friend who gives me large round bales of old hay and straw from time to time.

I don't have near enough free/cheap mulch do make a dent in my 30x60 garden. I don't collect grass clippings and I don't pile leaves. I did mulch my squash with hay a couple years. One year I didn't put enough down and it was ineffective. The other, I used a lot of hay and it was very, very effective and I had a great squash harvest. Over 100 large butternut off of 10 hills. But it was pretty expensive. Also had some trouble with the wind blowing the hay around.

Around here mulch hay is going for at least $7 bale. Might be worth it considering how expensive this cultivating equipment is. I know a local farmer who uses heavy mulch mats made out of rubber/plastic. They work excellently too. Don't want to know the price but I'm sure they last many years.

/ Need some help with the weeds #8  
my dad used to put old strips of carpet down the rows it worked great but was a mess picking up . old carpet can be had for nothing if you look around

/ Need some help with the weeds #9  
We got truck loads of free wood chips from a local Tree Surgeon. Worked good for years and years when put down thick enough. Plus it mulches down to nothing and you can just add more.

We got truck loads of free wood chips from a local Tree Surgeon. Worked good for years and years when put down thick enough. Plus it mulches down to nothing and you can just add more.
I used pine bark on the asparagus a number of years ago. It worked pretty good but is now depleted. Maybe I'll try wood chips this year.