Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter

/ Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
My searches here and elsewhere have come up empty.

My starter was shorted out by a wire that rubbed on top of the pictured starter. The smoke was let out!

Any help would be appreciated.

edit.. My new 64 bit Chrome browser won't let me upload pics of the starter..

The S/N of the tractor is S/N U-304499

/ Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter #2  
ytmag shows 2 starters ( big price difference) for your machine:

Ford 1300 Parts - Electrical Parts System&r=mcats

You may also be able to simply have it rebuilt.

without seeing your pic.. it is hard to say what actually burnt out?

Case New Holland also shows 2 starters. and they do not appear to be NLA, meaning the numbers should be good.

Call both check proces... check rebuild. that gives you 3 options right there.

just checked ebay. their prices are half of other places I saw.. .. check out the starter to see if it is what you need..

ford 1300 starter | eBay

/ Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter
Thanks for the links Soundguy..

ytmag has much better pricing on the shift boots I have been searching for also.

I finally got around to replacing the starter and shift boots yesterday (thanks again, Soundguy). I rolled the dice on the $88.00 starter via Ebay after reading up on the company via reviews. When I first opened the box I was worried because it does not look a bit like the one it was to replace but it worked perfectly.

Shift boots were quoted at $60.00 ea! I paid $9 at YTmag.

I pressure cleaned the tractor when done, will wait to see if I have any other leaks on the topside.

Next issue I want to deal with is the injectors. I'm told you can't find them nor a rebuild kit. They both leak a bit and I'm not sure I want to try to tighten them any more than they are now.

/ Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter #5  
does that one use copper crush washers? and are they what are leaking?

does that one use copper crush washers? and are they what are leaking?

That is what was described to me. They are leaking (bubbling) Diesel.

The last mechanic took them out and cleaned them, he said that is all he could do.

The new starter only lasted 1 week!

I can't blame the starter because it did the same thing the previous one did which was basically almost catch fire while the tractor was running.

I "thought" I found the source of the short but apparently not.

Perhaps the key switch still sends the positive leg to the starter after it should be stopping. I traced the wire from switch to starter and it looks good. I taped up all the wires that had nicks from long ago troubleshooting.

The key switch was replaced right before the last starter cooked so that must be the problem. I tested it with the volt meter and it seems to act normally. When you turn to start it sends voltage and when you release, the voltage drops out.

I suppose I can put some graphite in the key switch in case it might be sticking causing the starter to turn while the tractor is running.

Am I missing anything? Should I put a big red LED that glows when the starter is getting juice?

Also, my guys said sometimes one of the white lights on the dash flashes?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just to be clear.. The starter worked fine, the motor always starts right up.

The tractor was running for at least 10 minutes before the smoke was let out.

I read some other threads about checking connections so I'll go and do that just in case. In fact it was Soundguy who was commenting on another thread :laughing: I'd better hurry.

Here are some pictures..

Attachments

• 20140721_113617.jpg
    20140721_113617.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20140721_113554.jpg
    20140721_113554.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 104
  • 20140721_113534.jpg
    20140721_113534.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 140
   / Need model # for Ford F-1300 starter #10  
yuo need to check the wire that energizes the solenoid. it the starter is turning after releasing key, then check that line. put a test lamp to it.. something must be shorted in the wire harness or behind the kew switch..