Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Somehow, the thread on one end of my 3PT top link got damaged. I was chisel plowing pretty hard and must have damaged the threads. Does anyone have a top link for sale or maybe know the thread size of the stub ends? Thank you.

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #2  
I went out and looked at my OEM top link for my M6040. Threads on both ends appear to be metric. The threaded stubs are 1" in diameter. I don't have a metric nut to verify the exact thread size. However - it's definitely NOT SAE. One end has reverse threading - righty loosey-lefty tighty.

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is
I went out and looked at my OEM top link for my M6040. Threads on both ends appear to be metric. The threaded stubs are 1" in diameter. I don't have a metric nut to verify the exact thread size. However - it's definitely NOT SAE. One end has reverse threading - righty loosey-lefty tighty.

Thank you. No way do have a metric tap that large. I think I need to either find an unused top link that's laying around or a cheapee farm store one. Pretty hard to damage a top link but I sure did it. :)

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #4  
Well - look at the bright side. It could have been something a whole lot worse. I saw that Agri Supply has Cat 1/Cat 2 top links for around $25. The Cat1 end is really a Cat2 sleeved down to Cat1.

What you really need there sixdogs - a Cat2/Cat2 top link. Then - no matter what you have - tractor top link attach point or implement attach point - it can be sleeved down if its Cat1.

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #5  
if you can spare the extra rear remote, this may be a good time for you to consider a hydraulic top link. having used the manual threaded link for decades, i would never consider going back to manual now that i have hyd. (esp useful for soil engagement implements)
if you post, am sure you could get the correct length/travel & sources for your 7040. just a thought

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is
Well - look at the bright side. It could have been something a whole lot worse. I saw that Agri Supply has Cat 1/Cat 2 top links for around $25. The Cat1 end is really a Cat2 sleeved down to Cat1.

What you really need there sixdogs - a Cat2/Cat2 top link. Then - no matter what you have - tractor top link attach point or implement attach point - it can be sleeved down if its Cat1.

Agristar is plan B right now. The new Kubota top link is too pricey plus I could borrow a top link from another tractor if need be. Sometimes I really pull hard on an implement and have radials on the back that pull even harder. Surprised I never broke a top link before.

if you can spare the extra rear remote, this may be a good time for you to consider a hydraulic top link. having used the manual threaded link for decades, i would never consider going back to manual now that i have hyd. (esp useful for soil engagement implements)
if you post, am sure you could get the correct length/travel & sources for your 7040. just a thought

I do think about a hydraulic link but sometimes need the toplink and the remote at the same time. Also, I'm afraid heavy hugging will damage the top link or make it drift down. I do not want a link to drift down and fear these hyd top links would. Which is the best top link out there?

/ Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #7  
Sixdogs
all of what you say stands to reason. as far as choice, lots out there am sure others can offer info. got mine from my K dealer (after market) easy install.
as far as damaging/drifting: i use a 2000 lb 8' brush hog & never a hyd problem w/the load. in terms of drifting, never happens in operation, & i always lower my implements to the ground when at rest, so can't say. as long as you have hyd power to the link, it's not going to drift
using a box blade, or plowing as you did is a breeze to adjust in operation w/the hyd link.
anyway, just a thought. another plus for the hyd link is safety. you just stay put to make those fine adj on the 3ph

Last edited:
   / Need M7040 top link or to know what thread size is #8  
For sure - now may be just the time to get a hydraulic top link. I got mine from Fit Rite. Had it five years now. No drips, no rips, no spills. AND it's, at least, 2X heavier duty than my old OEM top link. I don't have to tell you how much handier it makes any 3-point implement. You've read all the threads on this subject.

It's on my tractor all the time, obviously. This means it controls my Rhino 950 rear blade. This rear blade weighs 1010#. Or it controls my 820# Land Pride LPGS @ 820# - or my 800# Wallenstein chipper or my 750# Bush Hog ROBB. If you purchase a quality top link - "drift down" or "damage" will not be a problem.

I would DEFINITELY recommend FitRite. It is not a generic top link. Each unit is specifically made for each tractor.