Need ideas for dog proof fence

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #21  
I currently use the SportDOG brand buried wire type fence, works well, if it can keep my young Coon/fox hound on the property then I'd say it will work for most dogs!

We have about 4+ acres "fenced" in with the wire.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #22  
I used a fairly cheap electric fence with a wire near the bottom and one near the top. After getting popped a few times they stay away. I can turn it off and they don't know the difference.
We are trying that, as soon as I can set it up. One of our neighbours erroneously mistook our Anatolian Shepherd for another dog, and came to our property with his shot gun in hand (when I wasn't home), threatened our dog, for chasing his horses. (that neighbour is an A##, but I don't wan't my dog shot, could not get police involved on that occasion) I know it wasn't our dog, she could care less about horses --- she has always ignored the horses here, and she patrols our property, visits one neighbourhood dog, then comes home - doesn't go in fields at all. We hope the wireless fence will also work in this case.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #23  
I think most, be they wired or wireless, give the same strength shock. I've had both and shocked myself, they seemed the same both turned up to max (my dogs are stubborn).

So, I really think it comes down to what works the best in your area, wired or wireless?

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #24  
thank you Robert-Actual

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #25  
I think most, be they wired or wireless, give the same strength shock. I've had both and shocked myself, they seemed the same both turned up to max (my dogs are stubborn).

So, I really think it comes down to what works the best in your area, wired or wireless?
I don't think its just about shock intensity but also how its delivered. The system I have uses audible as well as vibration in conjunction with the shock, its designed for stubborn breeds and I will say it has impressed me.
I've used other systems in the past and they have worked also although with less stubborn breeds.

I think the biggest failures with invisible type fences are in poor training, train them right from the beginning and you'll most likely be successful with most systems.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #26  
If you can make a circular boundary work it's a fantastic solution, and you can't beat the "install".
can it be a perimeter loop, or is it always a round circle ? I'm trying to figure out how to set it up on our yard

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #27  
It doesn't need to be a round circle. If you install one just put the dogs on a leash and walk them up towards it so they can see where NOT to go. They learn quick. My step son has one, also another friend.
I use a training collar with Buzz, vibrate and shock modes. Only ever used shock once. If I put the collar on the dog, I don't even need to buzz it now as she knows what will happen if she misbehaves. 2 other dogs don't require any discipline. I usually only fit the collar if visitors are expected as she likes to jump all over them.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #28  
I think there is some confusion of terms here. In general these are called an invisible fence. And I often see the one that has a wire you bury referred to as an underground fence. Then you have a wireless invisible fence, or pet containment system, that does not involve burying a wire.

can it be a perimeter loop, or is it always a round circle ? I'm trying to figure out how to set it up on our yard
The wireless fence has a transmitter which sends a wireless signal out in a circle a certain radius from the transmitter. It will create a circular boundary. You can use multiple transmitters to enlarge the area the dog (s) can roam by overlapping the circular boundaries, making sort of a snowman type shape.

The circle works very well on my property, and I like that I can just load the transmitter up and take it with me if I take the dog somewhere and still use it. For instance camping or visiting with family and staying over on their property. You can adjust the range down to be pretty small if need be.

I had a wired fence in the past and with this newer wireless, I didn't miss burying the boundary wire one bit!

If you don't quite understand what I mean by overlapping the circles poke around here.

I could do sort of a clover type overlap to get more of a square shape, or snowman type overlaps to get a longer shape, or both. The 1/4 acre circle from one transmitter works well for me.

I had to do zero training. I put the flags up, walked my dog near the flags and let him approach them as the collar began to beep only one time. After that I turned him loose, he got zapped once, and that was it. The documentation with the fence has a lengthy training process that attempts to teach him with no shock ever being administered. However, each dog is different. I doubt I would have ever been able to get my old German Shepherd trained to stay within the boundaries. If I would have, it would have taken extensive training for sure.

I don't think its just about shock intensity but also how its delivered. The system I have uses audible as well as vibration in conjunction with the shock, its designed for stubborn breeds and I will say it has impressed me.
I've used other systems in the past and they have worked also although with less stubborn breeds.

I think the biggest failures with invisible type fences are in poor training, train them right from the beginning and you'll most likely be successful with most systems.

I have never seen one that doesn't also have tones and vibration that serve as a warning first and then go along with the shock, but perhaps they exist. I've had 2 different systems and have family who has them. I have also used a regular ole electric fence with a visible wire that is electrified and shocks you if you touch it.

Last edited:
   / Need ideas for dog proof fence #29  
had a pyrenees who was an escape artist.......he could clear a 5 foot fence like a dear.......installed a 7 foot high chain link fence with the last foot angled in like a prison fence......that solved the problem.......Jack

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #30  
OK. I live on a lake and the property owner across has two Yap Yap mutts that yap all the time and at all hours.
The owners appear to be deaf.
Oh, and their kids are just as bad.

Making it worst they entertain a lot so there is a revolving tour of, I think, all the kids classmates.
Supervision is very lacking and I fear a drowning will occur sooner or later.

I'm tempted to enter their phone # on speed dial so as to advise them that their mutts want in.
Hey they go out and leave the mutts behind and naturally they protest and yap non stop.

We raised ours on this same lake but they were kept toned down.
LOL, however our lab (who never barked) was the greatest begger around and was well fed by all.
She had those sad droopy eyes that had everybody wondering if we ever fed her.